PDA

View Full Version : swimming and cloth diapers?

BornFreeBaby
06-21-2005, 08:00 PM
So, tomorrow I am off to the wading pool to meet some cool GCM mommas and I was thinking that now I don't use any disposables anymore, what should I do when she's in the water? At home we let her roam naked, but at a community wading pool I wanted to put something on her---I have tried using my FB's w/o the insert at home before w/her in the water, but she pooped! and the water in the pool turned brown! :td Do I have to resort back to the swim diapers for tomorrow?

I guess its not SO bad since I am Exclus. cd'ing.... any thoughts?

4LovesMom
06-21-2005, 09:07 PM
hmmmmmm... good question there, I'm wondering the same thing :) I have leftover swim diapers from a Memorial Day outing if you want to share. But I was just wondering about the cd thing myself. My sil said that at a wading pool she goes to in Seattle they are strict about swim diapers (I'm guessing to avoid the same brown water problem you mentioned :lol ) Well, we'll figure it out together! See you there!

ChristineG
06-22-2005, 04:17 AM
:D This thread makes me laugh! :heart When my first was born 11+ years ago, there was no such thing as Lil' Swimmers or other disposable swim diapers. Everyone bought cloth swim diapers for the pool!

Anyway, there are many internet and real life sources for cloth swim diapers. Swim diapers don't have to really absorb, just hold in poop. :O You only need to own one, which is likely to cost you less than a bag of disposable swimmers. :)

If you can sew at all, www.newconceptions.com has a pattern for swim diapers available for purchase.

BornFreeBaby
06-22-2005, 05:24 AM
:laughtears Thats too funny! I guess we get used to convienence really fast, huh?

I don't sew worth a darn but where can I buy one?

bostonsmama
06-22-2005, 10:08 AM
we use a fuzzi bunz w/an insert, and have no problems! :shrug also, target has cloth swim dipes - i bought one, but have yet to use it, although it looks pretty functional. theyre like 7 or 8 dollars in one of the baby aisles. fairy moon (suzi) on here makes a tie up swim dipe, it reminds me of a little baby Moses diaper, soooo cute! good luck!!

gentlemama
06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I bought a swim suit with the diaper built it. It was pretty much a plastic liner, much like a diaper cover would be.

memory maker
06-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I just wanted to warn those of you that are using FB as swim diapers in a real pool (not a little plastic kiddy pool) that some moms over at MDC have warned against this because apparently water can get in between the pocket layers and pull your little one down under the water. Just thought I would let you know. We use one just like gentlemama uses. I have also seen some at one step ahead that look good.

bostonsmama
06-22-2005, 11:00 AM
really carey? yikes! thats scary for those who dont hold their babes in the pool! i hold boston the entire time, so the fb's work ok for us! so are all pockets going to do the same? that seems a little crazy! you would think it would take some force instead of just water to suck a baby in a floating device under the water! thanks for sharing!

BornFreeBaby
06-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Last time at the pool, I had dd in a reg. disposable and it was SOOOO heavy, it hung to her knees literally and she was pulling at her waist b/c she couldn't walk in it, so I could well imagine a sposie pulling a child under- but I hadn't thought of the fb's. hmmm. I also haven't tried the fb's w/ the insert in the pool. Maybe that's why it leaked out in the pool last time.... But she doesn't know how to swim yet. so I would be holding her the whole time, too.

I did end up using the disposable swim diaper today... :shrug I guess I hadn't thought of cloth swim dipes far enough in advance. But I will be on the look out for further trips. :grin

ChristineG
06-22-2005, 06:29 PM
I definitely second the suggestion to find a WAHM who makes swim diapers, particularly one from GCM. There are so many great products out there, but WAHMs really deserve our business because they make such a small profit margin and do so because they love what they do and love being home with their kiddies. (Ask me how I know! :)) Also, they often offer excellent customer service and excellent products. :tu to the WAHMs. I'm not too much help in being able to say exactly where to find them because I have the same swim diapers that I bought 11 years ago (one in each of three sizes) and they are still in excellent shape, so I haven't ever needed to find a new one...and I don't sell them myself. :heart

Heather Micaela
06-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Has anyone used the swim dipes they sell on one step ahaead? Thye looked neat.

I use sposies now becuse I dont have a wahser but I HATE disposable swim dipes.

Radosny Matka
06-22-2005, 07:28 PM
I use an unstuffed pocket diaper.

Moon
06-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I just stick Moose in a snug fitting cover or AIO shell with no soaker/diaper, that's all a swim dipe really is :shrug

DogwoodMama
06-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Our community pools require plastic covers that they have available for "rental"... I use a huggies swim diaper b/c I worry about chlorine damage on my pockets & it's just a short time so it doesn't matter much to me. :shrug

bostonsmama
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
elizabeth---will the chlorine damage the dipes? ive wondered that but havent found any info on it? :shrug and gosh that little charlotte is a doll!!!!

DogwoodMama
06-24-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't know *for sure* but I'm kinda weird about wanting to avoid anything that *could* damage my dipes, and pools use some strong chemicals.

Thanks! :O

bostonsmama
06-24-2005, 01:36 PM
yeah, i guess chlorine can break down cotton, which is what my inserts are....guess i'll start using something else!

Julia R
06-24-2005, 06:33 PM
My best friend woks in our public pool here. She explained this to me. You don't need a diaper that will absorb, because, face it little guys are peeing in the pool all the time, and you can't prevent that. No diaper will prevent it from getting in the pool water anyway and any urine in the diaper before they get in could actually add to what would get in the water. That's what all the chlorine is for, and it's so closely regulated, to take care of the problem. You need a cover that fits closely around the legs and waist to contain a solid waste. You just can't have these floating around in there. And the chlorine won't take care of that problem. If one escapes, they are actually supposed to evacuate the pool until the problem is dealt with. And it should fit closely enough not to trap a bunch of water inside like the FB example. So a swim diaper or snugly fitting cover would work, but a lined dipe or pull on balloony vinyl pants might not be a good idea.

bostonsmama
06-24-2005, 09:05 PM
ah, thanks for sharing julia!

Aerynne
06-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I bought a speedo brand swim diaper at Shop-Ko in the aisle with the kiddie life jackets and arm floaties and all those kinds of things. I've also seen them at Target in the baby aisle. The one we bought was about $15.

Heather Micaela
06-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Here are some of the ones the sell at one step ahead:

http://www.onestepahead.com/shopping/search/resultsmain.jsp?SelectCat=0&sSearch=swim+diaper&go.x=19&go.y=9

so what do you all think?

ChristineG
06-25-2005, 04:22 AM
Here are some of the ones the sell at one step ahead:

http://www.onestepahead.com/shopping/search/resultsmain.jsp?SelectCat=0&sSearch=swim+diaper&go.x=19&go.y=9

so what do you all think?

I think they look great! Since you only need one, you can recoup your costs by not buying one bag of disposable swim diapers, too! :)

BornFreeBaby
06-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Ooooo. They look very cute! I'm going to have to buy the matching top to the swim diapers, now!

Thanks for doing some research for me!! :hug

cannuke
06-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't actually have any experience with swim diapers (yet!), but there's a company near where I live that makes them and they seem to be pretty popular: http://www.gabbys.net/zencart/index2.php.

Good luck! :)

BHope
06-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Sarrah has several swim diaper swimming suits. Two we picked up on ebay. One was an iPlay brand and the other an unknown one piece. She also has red swim diaper bottoms that velcro and tie. (We no longer use it because DD has learned to untie strings and velcro... resulting in naked baby swimming.) My favorite of all her swim diapers is a two piece we picked up. It's also an iPlay brand. We payed 19.00 in Euro's for it, but while stateside I happened into a large HEB and noticed they were selling the same thing for $12.00 in their baby section.

Here is a link to the iPlay suits (http://www.iplaybabywear.com/products/). They have them in two piece, one piece, speedo-style, and trunk style.

For really great deals check ebay (http://search.ebay.com/swim-diaper_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40).

BHope
06-27-2005, 03:48 AM
I ment to add that we have a pretty trim white swim diaper that is just the bottoms. We put that on her and then she wears other swimming suits on top of that. (Can you tell I totally get into multiple swimsuits? Guess it comes from growing up near the water. :lol)