PDA

View Full Version : need lunch ideas

memory maker
06-21-2005, 06:00 AM
we are lacto/ovo vegetarian and need some help with lunch ideas. it seems we eat the same things all the time. Please give me ideas

GrowingInGrace
06-21-2005, 10:27 AM
We often have sandwiches. those can be anywhere from lunch "meat", tomatoes and lettuce to mashed chick-peas and onions to avocado, salsa and sliced black olives or just peanut butter and jam.

Soup is another frequent visitor. tomato vegetable soup is obscenely easy to make and quick to cook. Split pea is also easy and VERY filling. lentil barley takes a bit more time but is a great soup for rainy days.

other times we're rushed or I'm tired (or lazy :giggle) and we just have things like cut veggies and dip with nuts and olives or sliced apples, PB and nuts.

ShangriLewis
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
What do you usually eat?

That way we aren't repeating ourselves. We probably eat all the same stuff!

I always have pb and jelly or honey on hand. Gibran and Porter can make their own and it's what they like.

Porter likes cold baked beans. I usually get the Heinz ones and put them in small covered glass bowls in the fridge. That way he can just get one if he wants.

I'm not big on a scheduled lunch now that the boys can make their own stuff.

I like to eat salad, so I usually have a big bowl of iceberg and red leaf cut up for my salads.
Veggies, olives and some kind of dip.
Hummus and flat bread.
We don't usually eat them but how about deviled eggs.
Black olive sandwhiches.
Veggies subs
English muffin pizzas
smoothies
Fruit and raw almonds
hashbrown squares and baked beans (Gibran doesn't like to eat breakfast so we often have breakfast for lunch. And, he likeds to make hashbrowns on the griddle.)
fart sandwiches (refried black beans, sprouts, cream cheese, tomatoe and cucumber slices. Also, good with some cold fake cheese sauce) I got this recipe from How it All Vegan or maybe the Garden of Vegan...but after the title it says the best thing about being Vegan is the Vegan Farts...lol. It's under the kids section.
Grilled Cheese and tomatoe soup or baked beans.
Leftover flaxjacks with Earth Balance, peanut butter and jelly.
My dh bought a non-stick griddle and we love it and use it all the time.

youghurt and granola parfaits ( I always think of Donkey when I use the word parfait now.)

Well, we are off to the library now.

MySeoulChild
06-21-2005, 12:07 PM
fart sandwiches (refried black beans, sprouts, cream cheese, tomatoe and cucumber slices. Also, good with some cold fake cheese sauce) I got this recipe from How it All Vegan or maybe the Garden of Vegan...but after the title it says the best thing about being Vegan is the Vegan Farts...lol. It's under the kids section.

LOL - It's How It All Vegan :)

youghurt and granola parfaits ( I always think of Donkey when I use the word parfait now.)
ME TOO!!
We eat these several times a week - fresh berries and organic yogurt. And, every time, I have to say "don't nobody don't like a parfait"
:laughtears

MySeoulChild
06-21-2005, 12:13 PM
quesadillas - sometimes we do these with canned black beans

leftovers - we keep them in the fridge from the night before - sometimes we rotate...
ie. Monday - dinner: pasta, Tuesday: lunch - PBJ, Dinner - stirfry, Wednesday lunch - leftover pasta from Monday

That way we're not eating the same thing for lunch that we just had for dinner the night before.

The girls love sticky rice balls - cook and cool short grain rice (sticky/sushi rice). Form it into balls and roll in sesame seeds.

We eat a lot of frozen vegetable potstickers from Trader Joe's

black bean and corn enchiladas from Trader Joe's

black beans, corn, and salsa mixed together with baked tortilla chips to dip in them (the kids won't eat beans off a spoon - but they love them on a chip :shrug)

cheese and whole grain crackers

boca burgers (a bi-weekly staple)

ShangriLewis
06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Oh, yummy I forget about thos esoy chorizo taquitos from Trader Joes. Good dipped in avocado.

We are back from the library and the beach and we are hungry.

Desert Rose
06-22-2005, 12:33 PM
I had the same problem even before I stopped eating meat! :lol
Let's see... we eat

veggie baked beans with cornbread
Annie's mac & cheese with broccoli and carrots added in
black beans with jack cheese
pb & j
cottage cheese with veggies
salad
leftovers
cereal