PDA

View Full Version : I'm so tired

Chris3jam
06-20-2005, 02:46 PM
of trying to be patient and patient and patient and patient. . . . .

I just want them to do what I tell them to, without the dramatics, the dropping to the ground like they've been shot, the whining, the crying, the arguing. . . . . . .

They are doing their best to test the boundaries, daily and with EVERYTHING, and I fear I am failing miserably. My 7 yo did his avoidance/ignore/walk away/then drop to the ground and whine thing (when I didn't let the issue go) for about the millionth time in what seems about as many years right now, and I just grabbed him by the shoulders and stood him up and just *growled* at him that I was "sick and tired" of his "attitude and not listening and whining"! The saddest part was that he immediately did what I had been trying to get him to do for 20 minutes (putting his shoes in the closet -- yes, a big deal, because we're constantly falling all over them). I can understand why dh wants to spank. But I still don't. . . . there's GOT to be a better/faster way to get through this! I know I'm coming in a bit late with the boys on GBD, but still. . . . should it really be taking THIS long?!

We were outside --- he's upstairs taking a shower. . . . .sigh.

They whine about cleaning up -- I help them, and the next thing I know, I'm doing it all myself. Then I'm constantly calling them back, and getting the whole walk away/ignore/drop to the ground/whine scene over and over again. Keeping on them, telling them again and again. . . .sigh.

It is not humanly possible to be this patient --- to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over ---- with a 7 YO AND 9 YO!!

purplerose
06-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't really have much advice to give except to just keep at it! They WILL get it. It might just take a while! I know it's hard! Hang in there! Maybe now would be a good time to pray to the Lord to ask Him what you can do to help your kids. I find that if I pray this way, instead of asking for my kids to just listen to me, to ask the Lord as to how I can be a better mother, then things are usually much better! HUGS! Know that we love you and you are doing great!! :pray :grouphug

MarynMunchkins
06-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Chris, feelings are okay, you know. ;) You can tell your boys that you are tired and frustrated and not break the GBD code. :P

And, FTR, when my kids pitch a fit about cleaning up, their toys get put away from them. I'm not the maid, and I refuse to clean their stuff for them on a regular basis. :shrug Especially by 9, they can clean up their own junk.

crunchymum
06-21-2005, 06:12 AM
:hugs

katiekind
06-21-2005, 09:38 PM
My boys used to like to race a timer for clean up. (Not that I always did that, but just sometimes, when I felt like a change of pace would help.)

Just a thought. Mostly sympathy. :hug Be firm. The kids will do what kids do, you know. You can be firm about what needs to happen, and yep, they might protest in direct and indirect ways. Stand your ground with dignity.

Do you have "Kids Are Worth It"? The video tape is wonderful--and funny...maybe your local library would get it for you? She's got some great ideas for situations like you're discussing.