PDA

View Full Version : Brown-bagging it. $$? Ideas? HELP!!

cklewis
06-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Our uni is changing its food allotment next year. Right now, you go to the cafeteria and eat free. The lettuce is brown, the chicken is rubbery, the veggies are soggy, and everything's cold by the time it gets to your mouth, but it is free and convenient.

So next year they are charging us $3/meal. My DH sat at lunch fuming about how genuinely ROTTEN today's food is. And he's right. It was horrible. We're both trying to eat properly (avoid the Great Whites -- processed this and that. You know. . . .). And it's virtually impossible to do that.

So we want to brown bag it next year. This'll involve 2-3 lunches for 3 people (me, DH, and DS 18mo). Surely I can do that for under $3 a piece, right? What do you all do for lunches? Any thoughts? ANYTHING. Websites, what-have-you. I'll take it all.

I thought about the idea that when I grill and chicken breast, I could just throw a couple more on the grill. Etc. I just don't want us to get tired of it, but I really think I could do better than they do. Yuck.

:ty

C

Mothering by Heart
06-20-2005, 10:40 AM
:) With your extra grilled chicken, cut it into strips and throw it on a salad :yum
:) Can you re-heat? Dh brings leftovers frequently.
:) Dh grills a salmon fillet ot two when we BBQ. He takes that along with brown rice and veggies.
:) Make wraps with tortillas. I like turkey, shredded cheddar, lettuce, and ranch dressing.

That is all I can think of ATM :)

Mother of Sons
06-20-2005, 10:42 AM
You could easily eat for less than 3 dollars each.

Chicken ceasar salad. If you grill the breasts at a convenient time, then chop and freeze them in portions, you'll be able to grab one, throw some salad in a bowl and add the dressing at lunch time.

Tortilla wraps. Wrap up a slice of lunch meat, some lettuce, tomato etc.

Grilled cheese. Make ahead of time and freeze. You can micro them at lunch time.

Soup is cheap

My veggie salad (dice cucumber, tomato, red onion, green pepper, add some shredded cheese and some dressing if you like it) It's good in a pita with chicken too.

Quesadillas, you can micro them at work. Not as good as grilled, but can't be worse than what you had now.

Kid stuff is easy though. Cold chicken slices, veggies etc.

You can always heat up leftovers too.

Mother of Sons
06-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Looks like we had the same ideas lol

Mama Calidad
06-20-2005, 10:51 AM
There are a bunch of whole grain salad ideas here:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/search.php?category_ID=19&product_ID=all&keywords=&submit=%3A%3A+search+%3A%3A

I really, really like the Gaspacho Bulgur Salad. :yum

Here's another great one for Rio Grande Quinoa and Corn salad:
http://www.deliciouslivingmag.com/recipes/index.cfm?fuseaction=recipedetails&recipeid=812

eoconnel
06-20-2005, 11:22 AM
DH and I both make sandwhiches for lunch. He takes an apple or two and whatever else fruit we have. I take whatever other fruit we have, no apples and a pudding. I know it kind of the same, but it is cheap.

cklewis
06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Pudding sounds so good right now. Drool. . . .

DId I mention that lunch was lousy? Wow -- everything you all are listing sounds WONDERFUL. Thank you. I'm so hungry.

C

kris10s
06-20-2005, 11:53 AM
DH takes pasta salad, regular salads and sandwiches a lot.

He also takes whole wheat pitas and stuff to dip them in.

He takes either a yogurt or a cheese stick every day for extra protein.

He takes leftovers if we have them.

Katigre
06-28-2005, 07:12 PM
We pack leftovers from last night's dinner (we're big on cooking WAY more than we can eat so we get leftovers for up to a week if we're lucky (which means no cooking for us ;)).

I bring granola bars, yogurt, fresh fruit, cut up veggies. You can do sandwiches (though i'm not personally fond of those). I like to bring healthy 'instant soup/noodle cups'. At our grocery store they're about $1.75 apiece and do a good job filling me up for lunch.

http://www.fantasticfoods.com/products/noodle_bowls.php (this is the brand we buy. There are others but i don't like them as much).

Havilah
06-28-2005, 08:20 PM
I recently subscribed to the frugal menu-mailer at savingdinner.com. It's been great for us because most of the recipes have been very tasty, healthy, and we've had plenty of leftovers for DH to take to work :tu The recipes are generally for a family of 4-6 I think... the portions are about perfect for generous supper and both of us for lunch :)