PDA

View Full Version : Dairy-free whipped cream sub?

MamatoBiz
06-18-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm doing a fresh strawberry pie for the Father's day dinner tomorrow, and it seems sort of incomplete without whipped cream. I remember Crystal posting a recipe for fresh peach pie with cashew cream a really long time ago...Crystal, would that work with any other nut? My mom is allergic to the casien in dairy, but it's also in cashews in some form or another.

Or is there some ready to buy product that would work? Isn't there a truly dairy-free version of cool-whip invented yet, for heaven's sake? I live within reach of Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, PCC and Larry's Market. Any vegan or dairy-free Seattle moms seen anything I could try?

MamatoBiz
06-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Btw Crystal, will you repost that peach pie recipe? It sounded divine!

Irene
06-18-2005, 08:25 PM
well, I have used coconut cream, you take the top creamy part off, and I beat it with powder sugar, then refrigerate it over night (or maybe a few hours might work too) then it firms up a bit.

I would also be curious for something better :)

Punkie
06-18-2005, 08:37 PM
My ds is allergic to casein, and Hip Whip (http://www.nowandzen.net/hipwhip.html) is safe :) We get ours at Whole Foods or Wild Oats. :)

HTH!

MamatoBiz
06-18-2005, 09:40 PM
:highfive PUNKIE! I called Whole Foods and they have it! I am so excited, thanks so much! My mom is going to be so psyched (did I just date myself?) to finally have whipped cream again...it's been 28 years since she's had anything dairy related.

Woohoo! Hip Whip on strawberry pie and strawberry shortcake!

Irene
06-19-2005, 05:07 PM
oh Im so jealous :( has soy in it... ah well I guess I will have to stick to my coconut milk...

Clara, I hope your mom enjoys that!!!! very cool you can get it :)

Iarwain
06-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Hip Whip is great, and I seem to remember finding some recipes on the Above Rubies website www.aboverubies.org but I haven't checked in quite a while.

For the cheap person who doesn't buy it often or needs it in a hurry and can't get to a natural foods store I actually found ONE variety of horrible garbage-laden whipped cream substitute that didn't have casein, whey or other dairy ingredients. I think it was the Wal-Mart generic brand, but it was the "lite" rather than the regular whipped topping (regular had dairy in it). Check the labels and don't think too hard about what's in it other than checking for milk products. :sick

ArmsOfLove
06-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Oh goodness--I have to think about where that peach pie recipe is :think Hmmmm

Hip Whip is *okay* (I don't care for it and I'm pretty sure it's made of cashews!)

My personal fave is from Desert Greens Cafe at the Tempe Coop:

1 cup soy milk (I use Silk--don't use low fat or rice because it's too watery)
2 oil (canola or soy here)
1 T maple syrup
1 t vanilla
Blend until it starts to firm up and then pour into a bowl and add 1 T of lemon juice and whisk until it peaks. Then put in the fridge to chill until you're ready to serve it :)

ShangriLewis
06-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Crystal....

2 oil what :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum I NEED whipped cream and I NEED it now.

I've seen similar recipes and I always wonder if they really work. I keep thinking mayonaisse would be the result. If you tell me I promise to try it tomorrow.

Punkie
06-21-2005, 08:38 AM
So how did it turn out? Did she like it?

ArmsOfLove
06-21-2005, 08:46 AM
ACK--so very sorry!

2 CUPS of oil

I find it works best if you put the milk in the blender and then pour the oil through the top as the milk is blending with it but I'm pretty lazy and usually put them both in up front :giggle Also, you NEED the exact amount of milk or it won't work, and I usually have to add just a smidge extra of oil, but not much, and only if it's not firming tightly.