PDA

View Full Version : Im SO glad we dont spank anymore

ServingGod
06-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Last night my eldest ds was having a hard time going to bed, He was crying and yelling about everything. My dh and I just looked at each other...and neither of us knew what to do. I went upstairs and laid down with him and he kept yelling I want to be downstairs with you and daddy!!! I just kept saying he had to stay in his bed and I sang him his special song. A few months ago he wouldve been spanked and it looked at as being "disobedient". Finally he turned to me and started sobbing and said "i dont want daddy and you to go on vacation, I want to go with you!" So that was the root of everything. We talked about what he was worried about...he said he wasnt sure if his godmother knew that he didnt eat meat, and just generally had concerns about that. He asked where our dog would go, I said to the kennel and we needed to give her something that smells like us so she isnt scared. He said he wants to give her his shirt, so she would be happy. Then he says " I really DO want to go to my godmothers, you know" This morning first thing he said, Are we going to our godmothers today!!! He was sad when I said no. If I had spanked we wouldve lost that whole conversation and he wouldnt have told me what he was worried about. Im SO happy we have found the better way. :heart

mummysamy
06-18-2005, 09:54 AM
:tu :clap I'm so encouraged to c u have the self-control to turn a potentially hot button situation around to one that built. I need to learn from you! I too, would be tempted to spank :( But what you did reminds me of the verse that says to edify each other and not to tear down. :)

mama j
06-18-2005, 02:39 PM
:tu :highfive :clap That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Wonder Woman
06-18-2005, 02:57 PM
:nak :tu :tu :mrgreen :rockon

ArmsOfLove
06-18-2005, 05:51 PM
what an awesome testimony! and an awesome conversation :tu really underscores the idea that people who feel bad act bad :sad2

UltraMother
06-18-2005, 10:29 PM
It's situations like these that convince me to keep the GBD. It helps both me and my kids grow and learn, as opposed to the stagnant spanking option.

ShowersofBlessings
06-19-2005, 09:11 PM
:clap :clap :clap :clap

Great job! :tu

Sara
06-19-2005, 10:08 PM
That is a great testimony! And a wonderful reminder to me! Thank you for sharing! :heart