PDA

View Full Version : Where to start!? very long, sorry

bluedotsmom
06-18-2005, 04:15 AM
A little background, we just took our house off the market for a while (the only house anywhere that won't sell :( ) Of course during that time there were a bazillion lookers so there were lots of days where things just got stuffed in available drawers.

We have too much stuff anyway. Also, I grew up in an abusive, dysfunctional home and don't ever remember my mom really taking care of the house & I know my home is better, but I want my children to feel part of how the house runs, not just get yelled at when the piles get too deep (I'm talking piles of stuff everywhere.) I don't really mind clutter & don't worry too much about mopping floors until I get stuck to them :mrgreen I also know that if we had a place for everything it really would be easier for all of us to keep up with stuff. And I know that habits take time to create.

My children already help, but I think my daughters especially would appreciate the responsibility of a task without me having to tell them every time.

And to make matters worse, I'm going back to work f-t outside the home starting 6/27 :cry Oh, we also homeschool (my dh works afternoons/evenings.)

We've cleaned/decluttered a couple of closets, but of course have the worst to do. In the week before I return to work, we're doing the worst two & that should actually give us some better storage.

I had been thinking about posting chore lists on doors of rooms to help my children & me (ex. when I wake up I get dressed, make my bed... or a card on the table about clearing plates...something in the bathroom about wiping up, etc.. the daily, all the time stuff.) Now, I think I really need a good general housekeeping schedule to be sure things don't get missed when I go back to work.

So, finally the question: I was thinking about buying the Motivated Moms ebook and wondered about how that would work with my room-by-room reminder lists? Do I need both? I'm also going to get a large white-board (hope to find one marked to use as a monthly calendar.)

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions and especially, prayers are greatly appreciated!!

Beyond Blessed
06-18-2005, 11:43 AM
:tol
do you need both? well it really depends on how many reminders you and the rest of the family need. i think in the beginning it would be good to have the additional reminders :shrug

Singingmom
06-18-2005, 12:28 PM
I'd begin by getting rid of as much stuff as you can. Maybe hitting one room a day, I'd have 2 large trash bags or boxes and mark one trash, one giveaway or yard sale. If the person it belongs to doesn't love it, it should go away. If it's loved and doesn't have a home, that would be the next step. After you've gotten as much out of the house as you can bear, I'd make sure you have the best storage solutions you can in each room. Clearing out the unwanted stuff may surprise you with new spaces.

In the kids' rooms, for example, get some plastic under the bed tubs for things like legos (what do girls have a lot of...Barbies? stuffed animals? doll house pieces?). Not only does that help organize, it keeps out a lot of other stuff that might find its way under the beds. ;) I put the lids for ours away for easier access. Also some smaller, see-through tubs to label and stack in the closets where you have that new found space. Shoe organizers on the back of the closet doors can hold small toys or collections. Or those accordian style peg racks for necklaces, belts, hats, whatever. I got some at the $ tree. Maybe your dh could hang a simple shelf down low in the closets for puzzles, books, etc. Bookshelves are good for larger toys, or stacked crates. Baskets or tubs can go on them for smaller ones. I don't know how creative you'll have to be or if you can spend a little money here and there.

Try to see your space with new eyes. Maybe you'll have room in the linen closet for board games, or under a kitchen cabinet for art supplies. Do you need some kind of a filing system for papers? Usually when I go through mine after I've let them pile up, I'm amazed at how much of it is trash.. It's a great feeling to get organized!

I know this is a really big job, and you might not be able to complete it before you go to work. Maybe if you get the ball rolling, the kids can work on their rooms on their own while you're working. My boys balk at getting rid of their things, so to motivate them in the past, I've told them I'll pay them yard sale prices for their things (mine are very low :grin). That got them going.

As far as the chores go, I think your idea about posting individual responsibilities is wonderful. I don't know what the e book is, so I'm no help there. You could ask your dh what household responsibilities he'd be willing to take on now that you'll both be working. Even if he just agrees to vacuum every week, that would be a great help.

I'm sorry you have to go to work. :hugheart I pray that the Lord will help you and guide you and your family through this new chapter in your lives.

bluedotsmom
06-19-2005, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the responses!
I think I will get the motivatedmoms book. I can't hurt & maybe it will help my dh want to help, too.

WeI will declutter our computer room today, I think that will make a huge difference. And work on better storage for my kids especially!

ellies mom
06-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Check out www.flylady.com

She really breaks it down into little babysteps and makes it so easy to get started. It is amazing how quickly things can start to look better. I'm not perfect at it, but even my attempts make for a better home.