PDA

View Full Version : What age is too old to co-sleep???

IslandMama
06-17-2005, 06:06 PM
I was curious as to what everyone elses opinion is on this... I have a 4 y.o. dd who loves sleeping with us, and we don't mind either! Baby #5 will be here soon, and we've co-slept 2 kids at a time... I also have 11 y.o. dd who likes to sleep with me when dh is deployed or working at night. My other 2 dc's (boys) easily transitioned to their own beds when they were 2 and 3, but sometimes will still ask to sleep in our room if they are sick or have nightmares (they will sleep on a blow up bed in the room)... I get alot of criticism from other Christian friends, so I don't even mention it anymore. It doesn't bother us in the least, doesn't affect our marriage, so I was just wondering when should I say "enough"??? :shrug Does anyone else have the same situation, or do you think I'm carrying this on too long??? :/

TIA!!! :hearts

Beyond Blessed
06-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Well, tbh they should really sleep in their own bed when they get married :laughtears I love it that your older dd still wants to be in your bed. I think that kind of family closeness is soooo healthy!

DogwoodMama
06-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I don't think there is an age that is too old to co-sleep. :shrug I say whatever sleep arrangements work for your family and allows everyone to get the most sleep is OK. :)

When I taught undergrads I led a discussion several times where we discussed co-sleeping... in every section, there were a few students who would sleep with family members (parents, grandmother, aunt) when they went home. So whatever works, right? I'll be "co-sleeping" for the rest of my life I'm sure! (with my dh ;) :hearts)

mommyTay
06-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I am just glad to hear I am not the only one with older kids that like to co-sleep. I am the only one in the house that tends to have a problem with this arrangement. I was not raised as a co-sleeper, I couldn't even sleep with stuffed animals. It took several years before I got used to sharing a bed with dh. I really like to have my own space.

Anyway, dd finally started sleeping regularly in her own bed about age 9, but still wanders in with us on occasion. Ds, who turned 9 last weekend, seems to be a bit insecure right now, not sure whats up with that. he wont go to sleep unless someone lays down with him, he prefers mom. If he gets up before I do, he climbs in bed with us.

Matthew always sleeps with us.

Tex
06-17-2005, 08:10 PM
30?? :D

Co-sleeping is historically normal and natural. I'd make no changes unless someone in your household was being negatively affected.

HTH

ChloesMommy
06-17-2005, 08:13 PM
LOL I have that toddler bed right next to my bed.... I guess I should just put it away, huh? LOL

Radosny Matka
06-18-2005, 01:38 PM
I personally don't think there is an age limit. It depends on the individual child and the family dynamics. :D If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Heather Micaela
06-23-2005, 02:30 PM
I read this story set in pioneer days and at this bible college the female roomates co slept. And I have shared a bed w/ my best freind in high shcool on a sleepover.

I think it is our societs preccup[ation w/ sex that makes co-sleeping seem wrong.
Even the term "Sleep with" somone is a euphamism for sex.

OT, but on our wedding night we got to our honeymoon destination so late that we were so tired we "slept together" for the first time ever but didn't consumate the marriage till the next night.

ArmsOfLove
06-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't think any age is too old to cosleep--dh and I cosleep ;) I do find that in the tweens and teen years most kids want to be in their own bed but even then I'd come home and climb in bed with my parents some nights :hearts

IslandMama
06-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! :mrgreen I shouldn't be ashamed that my 13 yo ds still runs to mama when he watches scary movies with his friends! I joke with him and tease that I'm gonna tell his friends. LOL :giggle But seriously, I do think it is a healthy sign that my kids do love us enough to be open about coming to us for comfort. It's such a blessing to have a close family! :amen

AttachedMamma
07-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Some of my most fondest memories are when I was a teen and would sleep w/my mom when dad had to work nights. :heart I don't know how she tolerated it...I would talk and talk. Our DD is the same way....question after question at bedtime. :grin

cindi

IslandMama
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! My kids know we have an open room policy, with a air mattress ready to go if they want to sleep in our room (for the boys... but the girls will sleep with us). Especially when they are sick or having a rough time... it's comforting for them to just be near us! :hearts

domesticzookeeper
07-09-2005, 01:43 AM
I do find that in the tweens and teen years most kids want to be in their own bed but even then I'd come home and climb in bed with my parents some nights :hearts

I did too :tu

I co-slept with my sister every night until she was 5 or so (I'm 10 years older), and after that we'd have weekly "snuggle nights". That time was very special to us :heart. Only rarely do we snuggle now, mostly because she's a wiggleworm and pokes me with her extremities all night long :giggle

UltraMother
07-09-2005, 10:23 AM
My 9yo just moved into his own bedroom, and the other three still sleep with us. He likes having his own place where he can fall asleep reading, and obviously can't do that in the main bedroom. He knows he is welcome back whenever he wants. I think that co-sleeping children should ideally move in/out when they feel comfortable doing so, but sometimes space and personal sleeping style affect that.

diamondintherough
07-11-2005, 04:08 PM
It doesn't bother us in the least, doesn't affect our marriage, so I was just wondering when should I say "enough"??? :shrug
TIA!!! :hearts

I think you answered your own question already! If it works for you and your family, then keep on doing it.