PDA

View Full Version : I was at my SIL's yesterday...

JJsMom
06-15-2005, 08:35 PM
and we started talking about praise, which led me to talk about Crystal's views on Descriptive Praise. Well, I didn't do it justice and she started badgering me about what it meant and I felt totally unsure about what to say. So, she started talking about how kids don't have the ability to have empathy (I don't know how it jumped to that :rolleyes) and I said "well, what about when I get hurt and my 2 y.o ds feels bad and cries?" She said "He doesn't feel bad for you, he is only worried about how it affects him. That's BASIC psychology!" She was really rude about it! :mad So, then she whips out a book and starts quoting from it-"To Train Up a Child"!!! :eek :td I wanted to cover my ears and run! She started reading some and it was so toxic! It was dripping with sarcasm and bitter, angry words. I started packing up my stuff and I said I had to go. :blush I didn't say anything about it! Grrrr...I felt so shocked and upset that I couldn't even say anything. I wanted to say something about GBD, but I was afraid of her attacking me and I wasn't prepared. It was so bad! I went home and called my dh, then my GBD friend! :hug2 I'm not sure what to say to her if she asks me why I left or what I thought of the book. I don't know what to say if she does those things in my house. I feel so sad for her kids and for her. I feel like she is being brainwashed and I wish I would have given her GBD stuff before she started reading this book. Although, she is a Dobson fan, so I don't think it would have helped. :rolleyes

Maggie
06-15-2005, 11:20 PM
What an awful situation! It's hard to know what to say at times like that, especially when you're just shocked and disgusting and kinda thrown for a loop, KWIM? :hug :heart

TulipMama
06-16-2005, 04:32 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry. . .

May God soften her heart and may He preserve your relationship by His grace.

(And I remember encouraging MY sil to try Babywise. . . *ugh* Thankfully, she didn't buy into it, our relationship was preserved, God preserved my children--and I was later able to really encourage her about breastfeeding!)

MarynMunchkins
06-16-2005, 05:26 AM
:cry

:pray for wisdom and peace for you...

APMamaX4
06-16-2005, 08:38 AM
What an awful situation! It's hard to know what to say at times like that, especially when you're just shocked and disgusting and kinda thrown for a loop, KWIM? :hug :heart

Knowing me, I would have been like (as soon as she pulled out and started quoting from TTUAC) "Ohhhhh Lordy! Dont' tell me you believe in THAT book!? ::look of disgust and smirk::: That book is soooooo full of it, but if you're deep into that book, we will never see eye to eye so don't even bother. I've already read that book and frankly, think it's child abuse. No wonder they were recently investigated by CPS........."

But, that's me and my big mouth when put on the defense :)

Tulip_Plus_3
06-16-2005, 02:42 PM
APMama, I like your style!!! :highfive