PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix

iplsmama
06-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have one of these "miracle" machines?? My blender won't even blend a couple of ice cubes well so I was thinking about getting one of these on ebay. I have a question about grinding grains. Do all the models do this? I noticed some stuff about needing a special container or something to do this. I hope someone has some wisdom for me. TIA

Mothering by Heart
06-16-2005, 07:12 PM
I have two friends with them and love them for blending. I haven't heard about using them for grains.

Chris3jam
06-16-2005, 07:17 PM
I have one! Fabulous! :D But NOT for grains. First, you have to get the special container (the grains will etch the other one). Then, you have to put the grains into the freezer so they do not get too hot while grinding, and then they will still get hot. The way it grinds grains ( :grin) actually is not good, and destroys a lot of the nutrients. And you can only grind up very small amounts at a time. But for the rest of the stuff they talk about, it's great! I can make a good-n-healthy mac-n-cheese faster than the famous boxed kind! :tu

Maggie
06-18-2005, 12:34 AM
I'll have to get more details from my DH, but we have a Vitamix with both wet and dry containers, the latter of which you need to grind grains and we do that all the time without freezing the grains first. :shrug

Chris3jam
06-18-2005, 07:03 AM
without freezing the grains first

That would be convenient then. But, when I talked with the sales rep, he did say to freeze them first, because it would get so hot. And hot is not what you want your grains to get when grinding! It destroys a lot of the nutrients. And he did say that it wouldn't grind all that much at one time.