PDA

View Full Version : Milk in my eggs

4LovesMom
06-15-2005, 06:59 PM
nak
i have been making scrambled eggs for dinner about once a week lately, and after about the one-thousandth time im wondering why I add milk. does anyone know? i'm not a clever cook, and im assuming i must have seen my mom do this - i'll ask her too- but what wisdom do you all have for me? does anyone else do this? its not important of course, just funny to me that i do it mindlessly.

jujubnme
06-15-2005, 07:05 PM
That's how I was taught too. I think it makes it fluffier. :shrug

Mothering by Heart
06-15-2005, 07:06 PM
I've always heard that it makes them fluffier. But I don't add it :shrug

Irene
06-15-2005, 08:12 PM
I dont know either... I posted a comment before about how to get rid of "milk" and I stated that I always put milk in my eggs and people wondered why I did that! :lol I had no answer. we dont do it anymore as I hardly buy milk replacements anymore :D and I would say that yes, milk (or milk sub) made them fluffier. :)

RealLifeMama
06-15-2005, 08:53 PM
I put water in mine. Especially if I am making an omelet. It adds fluff also. I think I remember reading once about omelet making and it said to add 1 tbs water per 2 eggs or something like that. But I am not sure. I'd google it but I am lazy!
DH puts in milk, though. I remember when I was dairy free I'd get annoyed because he always made the eggs if we went camping and he'd forget and add milk, and then I couldn't eat. :(

Radosny Matka
06-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Yup, makes the fluffier. I use rice-milk instead of cow's milk and it's even fluffier and yummier. :D

Punkie
06-17-2005, 08:24 AM
My brother uses water, and I can't tell the difference :shrug

Chris3jam
06-17-2005, 08:58 AM
Milk is supposed to make a creamier scrambled egg (something about the extra protein and fat). Water evaporates as it cooks, and is supposed to give a lighter, fluffier texture. So, milk for scrambled eggs, and water for omelets. :D Mostly, though, I think the milk thing started as a way to stretch the eggs to feed more people.

LauraK
06-21-2005, 06:23 PM
white wine also can work well for omelets if you have some left over and want to be fancy!