PDA

View Full Version : I don't like ds's bunny - UPDATE!

mykidsmom
06-14-2005, 05:05 PM
My aunt has a bunny and just exclaims how easy they are, and how cute they are, etc. etc. So we decided to buy a bunny. Talked to the guy at the pet shop, got all the information, and had my ds pick one out. Well, this bunny has been nothing but trouble.

He gets diahrea (sp?) off and on, and it just shoots out of the cage. :sick And so I have to clean that up. :sick I've changed the food several times because we were told it might be the food. He's shedding everywhere. He scratches and only hides when we let him out of the cage. We treat him very well, buy him chew toys, good food, let him play (or hide) around the house.

I don't want him anymore. :( I felt as though I was way misinformed in buying this little guy. I also don't want him to be homeless. <whine> What should I do? Bunnies don't belong as pets. they should be free. Maybe I can teach him how to live in the wild (dreaming)? :lol

I know dogs. I think we'll stick with dogs. :)

amstermarie
06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
He gets diahrea (sp?) off and on, and it just shoots out of the cage
that is not normal, you got your buny at a pet shop, it was probably born in a mill. it probably has intestional parasites :(
try taking him to a vet that does exotics, get the bunny examines and dewormed and talk to your vet about working w/ the bunny. i have never had a bunny but i do know they can be lovable
Maybe I can teach him how to live in the wild
the bunny was domestic raised,it would be no more good in the wild than your dog. :(, please dont think of that as an option.

domesticzookeeper
06-14-2005, 05:13 PM
www.rabbit.org (http://www.rabbit.org)

mykidsmom
06-14-2005, 09:22 PM
the bunny was domestic raised,it would be no more good in the wild than your dog. :(, please dont think of that as an option.

Oh, I wouldn't. I was dreaming, per se. Dreaming of a free, happy little bunny. :)

mykidsmom
06-14-2005, 09:26 PM
www.rabbit.org (http://www.rabbit.org)

Thanks. It looks like we'll have to go to the vets.

mykidsmom
06-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Well, we took BunBun to the vet. It turns out that he does NOT have diahrea. HE is marking his territory. :laughtears The doctor seemed a little puzzeled by my description of what was going on, but when I said I'm almost wondering if it's urine because it's so watery, the doctor smiled and laughed. :idea

BunBun is perfectly healthy. :tu Except, he'll have to get his buddies removed in order for him to stop spraying. :sick

domesticzookeeper
06-17-2005, 09:05 PM
:laughtears

That is too funny!!! Oh goodness, never in a million years would I have thought to equate all that with a bunny's raging hormones :doh :lol

The surgery's not too bad, a lot easier on guys than it is on girls ;), just make sure that if the vet tells you to withold food - ignore him. Rabbits do not have the ability to vomit, and witholding food is actually dangerous to their digestive systems. Other than that the snip-snip should be a snap :giggle

cannuke
06-18-2005, 07:01 AM
:laughtears

Just a heads up... when we got our bunny fixed, they brought him out to me to show me how to check for infection, etc. and I thought, "my goodness! You were supposed to take them out, not put in implants!" :giggle Turns out a lot of swelling about a day after surgery is pretty normal. Other than the cone on his head, which looked really cute with bunny ears sticking out, he did really well.

Oh, and don't EVER withold food. I agree with Emily. Then you get into the GI stasis thing and that's a whole other nightmare!

Good luck! :tu

Heather Micaela
06-20-2005, 01:34 PM
A rabbit I used to have used to hop, pee, and spray all around him when excited.