PDA

View Full Version : homemade wipes...

zak
06-14-2005, 03:14 PM
So I bought some microfiber towels today and a squirt bottle :)

My question: If I cut the towels into smaller pieces - are they likely to ravel? I don't have a sewing machine, or I'd hit the edges w/ a quick stitch.

What do you think? If they DO... not a big deal... I can buy more... it's still cheaper than wipes :)

cannuke
06-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I don't know about microfiber, but if they're like fleece (synthetic and not woven), then they shouldn't. The safest thing if you're not sure would be to use pinking shears when you cut them. Those are the scissors with the zig zag blades on them. When you cut things like terry towel material with pinking shears, it doesn't ravel and you don't have to sew the edges.

HTH!

kris10s
06-14-2005, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't use microfiber as a wipe, myself... it's an irritant to baby's skin and it takes SO much liquid to get microfiber to feel wet. :shrug

zak
06-14-2005, 08:13 PM
oh... I thought that's what I had read as a recommended cloth... I really hate fleece... just the feeling of it. I have some fleece liners... I guess I could give those a try. Paper towels would work too I guess.

:) Thanks for the heads up on being irritating. They *seem* soft... ???

anniegirl
06-14-2005, 09:46 PM
I agree with Kristen. Microfiber is great for absorbancy but I don't think it should ever be used against baby's skin.

You could just buy one of those big packs of cheap washcloths. That's what I use (along with some baby washcloths). They work great and they're cheap! :rockon

You could always use the microfiber towels wrapped in a pf for overnight when your ds gets older.

kris10s
06-15-2005, 06:29 AM
Yeah, microfiber works great in pocket diapers or in between a prefold and a cover for extra absorbency. It's also great to clean the house with!