PDA

View Full Version : TTO STINKS

BornFreeBaby
06-14-2005, 12:55 PM
:sick Ok, following advice here I put in 8-9 drops of tto into my wash (full load of fb dipes/inserts)

PEEEE EWWWW smell! It kind of smells like chemicals to me. I am rinsing this load for the 4th time now. UGGGG I do not like the smell of this tto. I almost liked the faint urine smell better.

Did I do something wrong??? I think maybe I will only use 1-2 drops next time... :sick Hopefully this is just a sign that I'm prego. Cuz its makin me nauseous!

snlmama
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't like the smell of it either. Seems like most people do, though. :shrug Not sure what else to suggest, though? Maybe vinegar?

Irene
06-14-2005, 03:09 PM
I dont like the smell straight, but with something is usually okay for me... I dont know what else I would suggest though...

4LovesMom
06-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Oh, great - and I just ordered my first little bottle. I was thinking of trying it in the laundry and in the pail. Do you use it in your pail, too? Is it stinky there?

Irene
06-15-2005, 02:29 PM
maybe its the mix of tto and urine? once its gone through the wash I honestly dont smell it anymore...

BornFreeBaby
06-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Oh, great - and I just ordered my first little bottle. I was thinking of trying it in the laundry and in the pail. Do you use it in your pail, too? Is it stinky there?

It actually didn't smell bad when I put it in, but I think I just overdid it and put in too much. I haven't tried it in the diaper pail, but I probably will try just 1 drop to see if I can handle it. I put probably closer to 10 drops in the wash. It's not that the tto smells bad, but you know when men wear toooooo much Cologne? Kind of like that. Too much of a good thing, i think. I will try again today.

bliss
06-16-2005, 04:28 PM
I like the smell but found with 5 or 6 drops in the pail/soak water it made my diapers hold on to that peepee smell ( you know when the first time they pee in a clean diaper and it smells so amoniaish?) I found the less I put in with my dipes the less problems with that "not so fresh" smell. But I think it has a lot to do with the water where you live.

BornFreeBaby
06-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks bliss,
The FB's actually smelled great after I rinsed them for the fourth time. So I don't think I will stop using it altogether, but less in the wash.

ChristineG
06-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Lavendar essential oil blends well with tea tree and smells very nice. I would suggest a few drops when you use tto on your diapers. :-)

BornFreeBaby
06-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Lavendar essential oil blends well with tea tree and smells very nice. I would suggest a few drops when you use tto on your diapers. :-)

oooo, thanks Christine, I will try that. I :heart lavender. Where do you get your oil at?

ChristineG
06-17-2005, 04:26 AM
Well.....I am in Canada and my sister owns a small soapmaking business, so I usually hijack one of her orders from a soap making supply company. I would HIGHLY recommend going with one of these, instead of buying from a health food store or somewhere like this. If you like essential oils, you can save a TON and you don't have to be a business. We like: http://www.kwspecialties.on.ca/homepage.htm This one is Canadian, but there are lots of other companies out there. :)

Soliloquy
06-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Ok, I know I read about this somewhere, so forgive me if this has already been thoroughly discussed. But, adding TTO to the wash can also help with a yeast diaper rash, right? My daughter has had 2 yeast diaper rashes in 2 months and I'm wondering if the little buggers are setting up camp in her dipes. :mad

Larissa
06-28-2005, 05:26 PM
I LOVE TTO!!!! The first time I got a whiff of it....it was a bit too much for me. I use about 1-3 drops in the rinse cycle. And I will often put one drop at the bottom of my diaper pail. A little goes a long way!

I don't know about the diaper rash thing.

BornFreeBaby
06-28-2005, 10:01 PM
I just wanted to say, that after my experience w/ the strong tto, I decided to just use 4 drops instead of the 10 and I have been much happier w/ the smell and how they come out. I also used 2 drops in the pail and its working great. I also love my new cloth diaper pail liner that I can throw in the wash. :tu

Lisa, I don't know if tto fights off the yeast, but dd hasn't been getting as many rashes at all since we switched to cloth...

I also bought some lavender oil and look forward to using that w/ the tto next wash.

wuzzie
06-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Lavander and TTO both fight the yeasty beasties. Bleach works better though. Just a tablespoon.

ebethmom
07-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I actually like the way TTO smells. Dh says it smells like linament. I mix a few drops of TTO in my face moisturizer when I have breakouts. It helps.

That said, I hardly ever use TTO with the diapers. The bottle lives upstairs in the medicine cabinet. We usually just use vinegar in the rinse. Keeps the diapers really soft.