PDA

View Full Version : My Sewing Machine & Needles

Close2MyHeart
06-14-2005, 09:10 AM
My sewing machine breaks needles regularly! :hissyfit I can't figure out why, but it's very annoying....

ok, off to change yet another needle and finish my first diaper... :/

cklewis
06-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Are you using the right size for the fabric weight? IOW, what kind of fabric are you sewing and what size needle are you using? Do you have a ball point needle (for knits and delicate fab) or a regular one?

C

Close2MyHeart
06-14-2005, 09:47 AM
umm. hmm, hadn't thought of that. I don't know this machine real well yet. It's Matt's grandma's. she gave it to me in November. I'm still learning the quirks. As far as needles go.. I don't know :shrug I'm using the ones she had in her drawer and none of them are labeled.

I did noticed that it was hitting the foot, so maybe I just need to re-adjust that?? I broke 2 this morning trying to sew 1 diaper. :doh

cklewis
06-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I did noticed that it was hitting the foot, so maybe I just need to re-adjust that?? I broke 2 this morning trying to sew 1 diaper. :doh

Hmmmm. . . . diapers. So you probably should be using a middle-heavyweight needle. Just a sec. . . . if your g-ma has Singer needles, they have a red or yellow band on the top. Red is for woven fabric, yellow is for knit or delicates. And you'd want to use the ones that have a blue band next. Those are middle weight and are size 90/14.

If they are all silver, it's GOT to be engraved in there somewhere.

If it's "hitting the foot," hmmmm. . . . are you doing a zig-zag? then you may need to narrow the stitch or use an open foot. Does she have other feet in there? What kind of machine does she have? Look here (http://www.allbrands.com/products/abc0129.html). Do any of these feet look like yours?

C

Close2MyHeart
06-14-2005, 10:18 AM
The foot is similar to this one: http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp01039-0677.html

She has a Viking Huskavarna. It's an older machine but typicaly works like a beauty! :) She doesn't have singer needles, but I will take a closer look at them all. :) Thanks!!

cklewis
06-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Ah -- she's got a GREAT machine then!! I'm sure it works like a charm.

Honestly? I think you just need to change to a more open foot. Do you have one in there? I never use those narrow feet for just the reason you're having.

If that's not possible, sometimes those machines have a doo-hickey (that's the formal term :giggle ) that lets you adjust the position of the needle left or right. maybe yours is just off ever so slightly?

C

Close2MyHeart
06-14-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm sure there is a more open foot in there. She was a seamstress, so you can only imagine the stuff she has!! She has those cams (think that's what they are called) for all sorts of decorative stitches. I have fun playing w/ those :) The machine is in a built in desk and the 4 drawers on the desk are FULL of stuff.. thread, more buttons that you can imagine, feet that I have no clue what to do w/, elastic, binding, and so on. I was really blessed by her when she gave it to me. :)

Going to search the drawers for a different foot and then hopefully finish that diaper!

Close2MyHeart
06-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Ack! It's not hitting the foot... it's hitting the plate w/ the lines/measurements on it. Why would it be doing that :shrug I put at thicker needle on it and now it won't work at all. :mad gonna fool around w/ it and see if I can figure something out.

cklewis
06-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Hmmmm. .. . is that plate screwed in tightly? My hunch is the needle is getting moved when you put a new one on. My White machine had an adjustment for that (my Singer doesn't).

Last resort -- can you ask your g-ma?

C

Close2MyHeart
06-14-2005, 01:25 PM
:woohoo It's working!! Thanks for all your help!! :tu I really appreciate it. You were right. The needle was getting moved around a bit when I changed it like you said. I made sure it was good and tight and now I'll know how to fix it if it happens again. :) I finished the diaper... my first ever. DD is wearing it now. :eek Hope it works out ok...

cklewis
06-14-2005, 01:31 PM
:cool Good for you!!

:highfive

C

cannuke
06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
:woohoo It's working!! Thanks for all your help!! :tu I really appreciate it. You were right. The needle was getting moved around a bit when I changed it like you said. I made sure it was good and tight and now I'll know how to fix it if it happens again. :) I finished the diaper... my first ever. DD is wearing it now. :eek Hope it works out ok...

How is the diaper working out???? :-)

Close2MyHeart
06-21-2005, 04:44 AM
It worked out well, but I only have a few, so she doesn't wear them all day every day yet. I need to get some more elastic so I can make more :) I'm wondering if it'llb e worth it tho. I think she's ready to Potty Learn already. She tells me when she goes and sometimes asks to sit on the potty. :D