PDA

View Full Version : I feel a little silly :(

made4more
06-13-2005, 05:18 PM
I have been SO against baby wearing.. but the more I think about it, the nicer I think it probably is. I would hate to buy a sling, and then HATE IT cuz it gets in the way, or it's too much of a hassle to make sure I put it on all the time. I'd like to have at least 2 of them, one for home, and one for public. Can someone point me in the right direction.. why you like the particular one you have and why. why you hated certain brands, etc.. Anyone make them here? What works best for all ages? newborn-20m. etc..

Anything would be really helpful.

kris10s
06-13-2005, 05:26 PM
I think the first thing you need to decide is what style you'd like:
ring sling
pouch
wrap
mei-tei
etc.

www.thebabywearer.com is a great site for research. You may have to register to see the articles, but it's worth it (they enter you into a drawing for a free sling :tu)

I like different styles for different ages and purposes :shrug

malakoa
06-13-2005, 05:39 PM
hey - how come you were against them?

i have about half a dozen "baby carriers" as dh calls them

do stay away from commercial brands like bijorn, snugli because they will hurt your back.

i had a moby and it was super cosy and comfy. it took a little bit to learn to use it but was worth it. (like tying your shoes) but it may be too much of a "hassle" for you to use alll the time.

i have a OTSBH and Small loves it! She likes the back carry especially - it's like a horsy ride, that she can nap during. also, you don't have to wrap it up all the time, it's ready to go.baby wearing is just wonderful, even if you only do it some of the time. it makes my heart glad to have my baby in a pouch close to me.

BeckaBlue
06-13-2005, 06:25 PM
hehe! i felt that way about slings! i tried it with my first and it didnt work for us (it was one of them huge bulky ones) and i didn't try another until a lady on a board i was at started selling her slings (wisewomansling), everybody there raved about them so i decided to give it a shot! when we got it, i set nik in, tightened it,, and there ya go! was SO simple. and tthe pouch of it made it feel more secure, that he wouldn't fall out, also gave us a snugger fit

I now have a bunch of em since i make them too, so whatever matches my outfit best ;)

made4more
06-13-2005, 06:37 PM

Hehe, I can be honest here right? ;) I saw a lady w/ one in the mall and I thought it was quite.. hippy? I dont know if that word describes it well, but that is what I thought. It was super native americanish looking (the print) and I just thought.. MMMMhmmm.. Then I had a friend that used them, and she had a few, but let me borrow one I didn't like. I felt liek the baby was lost in the BIG'OL POUCH and I have had Snuglis and they are NOT cool! Yes, they hurt my back. I saw another post where a lady said that her mom or someone said that she looked like she should be picking rice in it.. hehe, that is what I thought at first.. but now, I dont really care what it looks like, if I have my hands free..

I saw a couple on the baby wearing picture thread that I really like.. they look like they are all one piece of material. I can't remember what they are called, I'll edit here in a minute.

made4more
06-13-2005, 06:43 PM
okay, I took notes. I like the one that nutmeg mama is wearing, the homemade fleece one, it's on page one.. what is that called? lol

mama2mad stripedy one. like it and the print :)

Rosie Took?? (can't read my own writing, it's on page 2 of the pictures) the tan one her hubby has on. I like the maya wrap style, but not the loooonnnng piece of material that hangs down.. I'm afraid that might get into my catsup or something :)

Irene
06-13-2005, 08:39 PM
I like the mayas ;) because they are so adjustable and they baby doesnt need to be in a big ol pouch hanging in there, you can adjust it to tightness. with the tail, I tuck mine in underneath or over the top. you can wear them on your back or all different positions :)

you can click on my link in my signature and see the colors and the positions available. :)

lovelymama
06-18-2005, 01:07 PM
There is such a wide range of fabrics available in the sling market, you should be able to find one that suits your style, and if you don't buy the fabric of your choice and have someone make it for you. IMO slings are way easier to deal with than a stroller. Having baby at your level makes him feel like more of a participant in your world too.

malakoa
06-19-2005, 08:08 AM
did you find anything?

Mother of Sons
06-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Mayas are my favorite too. I like the pocket that's in the tail, it's nice for keeping keys or cash. The smaller the size, the smaller the tail too. Each size up has 6 inches longer tail. The nice thing about the tail is that you can use it as a blanket or cover up. I'm short so I did get annoyed with it sometimes (the tail, not the sling) I can't stand the slings with padding in them. Too hot and bulky.

made4more
06-19-2005, 08:40 AM
did you find anything?

Well I haven't bought anything, but it seems that the Mayas are such a favorite, that I am leaning towards that. Seems awful versatile as well...

thanks everyone

BornFreeBaby
06-21-2005, 03:20 PM
If you don't want a lot of material for you dc to get lost in, I'd go for the maya adj. pouch or a hotsling pouch. I have a basic black maya, and I don't feel like such a "rice picker" in it than I do my ring sling. That was me by the way, my mom said that about me! :giggle But that was when I was wearing the padded Nojo w/ dd on my back. Now I wear the black maya and its very cool. :cool
I will try to get a pic up for you...

Heather Micaela
06-21-2005, 05:02 PM

Hehe, I can be honest here right? ;) I saw a lady w/ one in the mall and I thought it was quite.. hippy? I dont know if that word describes it well, but that is what I thought. It was super native americanish looking (the print) and I just thought.. MMMMhmmm..
:giggle That might as well have been me! DH is native american and we used a bed sheet w/ a native american print to custom make our ring sling. :sling That way I knew Dh would use it>

RosieTook
06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Rosie Took?? (can't read my own writing, it's on page 2 of the pictures) the tan one her hubby has on. I like the maya wrap style, but not the loooonnnng piece of material that hangs down.. I'm afraid that might get into my catsup or something

HeeHee, good thing I was reading this thread!! :highfive

That sling dh is wearing is Hotsling, they ROCK!!! I use it almost exclusively now. It is sized for me, but fits dh too..she does like 7 sizes and is pretty good at getting it right the first time. I just put it on, put dd in and go. It is also machine washable and stretchy and is pretty reasonably priced. Pouches are pretty easy to learn...my cousin just bought a hotsling too and her ds is hooked on it, he wants in all the time.

Good Luck, I hope you get something that you like!!