PDA

View Full Version : MIL was speechless- twice (funny)

BornFreeBaby
06-13-2005, 12:35 PM
(Background) I have always had MIL issues about her criticizing us for co-sleeping.

So anyways, over the weekend, we went to dh's grandma's house for a family reunion (4 hours away) and my MIL kept saying on the way up, are you sure you don't want to bring the playpen?? There's no place for dd to sleep!?
I said, she will sleep just fine w/ us. She always sleeps better next to us.
MIL: Well I don't know how your going to try for another baby when you have that going on" ARGG Right then I started to turn red (getting mad) but I just said with a big grin- Oh, we find other ways. MIL half smiles, but drops it. :clap

So later that night when we were getting ready for bed, MIL says to g-ma- You always get to sleep w/ Chloe!! (G-ma's springer spaniel)
Its my weekend to sleep w/ Chloe!... I chime in.." Its amazing how many people love to sleep w/ their pets, but put their BABY in a cage at night... isn't that amazing?? (MIL leaves the room) G-ma says- you are absolutely right! I never thought of it that way... :rockon YES!!

Close2MyHeart
06-13-2005, 12:40 PM
:) Always nice when that happens :) MY MIL and I agree on nothing... absolutely nothing it seems... and I never know what to say to her. You did a good job. :tu I usually just smile and keep my mouth shut while fuming inside. :P

ArmsOfLove
06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
:laughtears

Yeah, I love when people worry about dh and my sex life--I point out how many children we have and assure them we've got that under control ;)

BornFreeBaby
06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
:) Always nice when that happens :) MY MIL and I agree on nothing... absolutely nothing it seems... and I never know what to say to her. You did a good job. :tu I usually just smile and keep my mouth shut while fuming inside. :P

ITU! My MIL is a christian, but is against co-sleep and thinks I should spank, etc. I usually never know what to say to her either! But this weekend I just didn't care what she thought. I find that when I just relax about trying to please her then the right words just fly outta my mouth!

Soliloquy
06-13-2005, 01:01 PM
:tu :highfive

So cool! When I saw the movie Seabiscuit, I thought how wonderful that they respected the personality God gave to that horse and just let the horse take the lead. It is amazing that most people feel that way about animals but have a hard time accepting that it works with people, too! My parents and my aunt would do anything for a pet, but were very shocked when we started co-sleeping. Thankfully, they aren't negative about it, they just don't understand it.

Mama Calidad
06-13-2005, 01:08 PM
:clap

GodisGood
06-13-2005, 01:27 PM
:rockon :nak

UltraMother
06-13-2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I love when people worry about dh and my sex life--I point out how many children we have and assure them we've got that under control

And this from people who wouldn't normally comment on your sex life, only when it pertains to co-sleeping!

Radosny Matka
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
:dance

Wonder Woman
06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
:rockon mama!

zak
06-15-2005, 07:33 PM
This is so funny!!

We were talking about "how to handle criticism" today at my LLL enrichment meeting. That was an AWESOME way to turn it around!

boonpnutsmom
06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
My FIL made a comment one time that OBVIOUSLY we didn't have a problem with the kids sleeping with us as we have 3. The funny thing is only one of our babies was even REMOTELY made at home the old fashion way.

Vipers_Princess
06-15-2005, 07:53 PM
:tu

ShowersofBlessings
06-15-2005, 08:38 PM
Good point! :tu

GodisGood
06-15-2005, 08:47 PM
My FIL made a comment one time that OBVIOUSLY we didn't have a problem with the kids sleeping with us as we have 3. The funny thing is only one of our babies was even REMOTELY made at home the old fashion way.

:spit

godsgracegiven
06-16-2005, 01:05 AM
So later that night when we were getting ready for bed, MIL says to g-ma- You always get to sleep w/ Chloe!! (G-ma's springer spaniel)
Its my weekend to sleep w/ Chloe!... I chime in.." Its amazing how many people love to sleep w/ their pets, but put their BABY in a cage at night... isn't that amazing?? (MIL leaves the room) G-ma says- you are absolutely right! I never thought of it that way... YES!!Excellent point!! :clap :rockon

BornFreeBaby
06-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Its my weekend to sleep w/ Chloe!... I chime in.." Its amazing how many people love to sleep w/ their pets, but put their BABY in a cage at night... isn't that amazing?? (MIL leaves the room) G-ma says- you are absolutely right! I never thought of it that way... YES!!Excellent point!! :clap :rockon

Thanks!! I think it was hilarious that my MIL loves to sleep w/ her dog, but is SO against us sleeping w/ our children.

mamaKristin
06-16-2005, 12:08 PM
And last time I checked, neither of my kids rolls outside in interesting *smells*...or ate poop...or had totally obnoxious gas...or licked themselves...last time I checked...I could be wrong. And who would I rather sleep with?

jluvts
06-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Rock on Kindergirl. I totally agree. I was debating this with a lady on ff who said she didn't want her cats to feel left out, so her dc would be sleeping in the crib in the nursery with the door shut so the cats could sleep with her. My husband just shook his head when I told him that. I love him!