PDA

View Full Version : It worked!

Grover
06-13-2005, 04:56 AM
I have been having problems with my two dd's [13+9] who share a room setting down at night [just talking and playing-quite sweet really ]especially with the lighter evenings and they were tired in the morning for school.
Anyhow I had been slipping into punitive measures like"I see you are not tired,so tidy your room".Of course this didnt help they just argued over whose mess it was etc and were even more wound up and unable to settle.
Anyhow last night I just took my knitting and went and sat in their room.If they talked I just said " Goodnight now" and I only said that twice.Anyhow 20 mins later they were fast asleep.Its been ages since I 'helped' them to sleep.Its so obvious I wonder why I didnt think of this before.
Today two girls got up bright and early for school without being nagged or prompted.

Wonder Woman
06-13-2005, 05:42 AM
:tu :tu :mrgreen

katiekind
06-13-2005, 06:48 AM
:highfive

Another idea, one that I used to do in the same situation, is to use the time to read out loud to them. Pick an old favorite of YOURS that you think they might enjoy. Or you might be really enjoying the quiet...if so, knit on!

J3K
06-13-2005, 10:35 AM
It's become a joke around here that if they play past bedtime I will sing them to sleep. LOL

ArmsOfLove
06-13-2005, 11:54 AM
:tu Great solution!

When mine were littler and had trouble going to sleep I'd start singing "Amazing Grace". To this day if they hear that song somewhere they say, "That's the go to sleep song!" :giggle

TulipMama
06-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Anyhow last night I just took my knitting and went and sat in their room.If they talked I just said " Goodnight now" and I only said that twice.Anyhow 20 mins later they were fast asleep.Its been ages since I 'helped' them to sleep.

*hug*

That's wonderful!

hsgbdmama
06-15-2005, 10:27 AM
:highfive :tu :woohoo

A good story to read is Dr. Suess's The Sleep Book ... works almost every time, even on mom! ;)

ShowersofBlessings
06-16-2005, 08:52 PM
:tu Way to go Mama! :)

I'll have to check out that Dr. Seuss book. :-)