PDA

View Full Version : new kitten & declawing?

2ds1dd
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
my mom got me {I picked it out} a kitten for my birthday from the animal shelter yesterday! She is a beautiful 6 wk old grey/brown tabby. She is very healthy, total snuggle-cat, playfull, and very gentle with the kids. :grin She has her first vet visit on Monday and I know that the subject of declawing will come up. Dh wants us to do it to save our furniture, but I don't know. I've always had adult cats and they've always been adopted after declawing. This cat will be strictly indoor.

Thoughts??? :think

Epieikeia
06-11-2005, 07:21 PM
I have declawed 2 cats...they were both rescue cats that were supposed to be euthanized.

I did it to save my furniture as well...with the eldest one I floundered until he went after my couch. I tried multiple scratching posts...but his instinct and love was for my couch.

I know it's painful for them....but it makes our lives together so much easier. I had it done when I spayed/neutered them. They healed in a few days(the doc used glue, not stitches) and never had any problems with infections.

My mom has cats and one is declawed and one isn't...the one that isn't has never clawed anything, so she left it.

I will say that I would only declaw an indoor cat--and that are what my babies are..strictly indoor. The front door can be open and they never pass the threshold.

AmyDoll
06-11-2005, 07:49 PM
wouldn't do it - it falls under my definition of cruel

http://www.sniksnak.com/images/claw.jpg declawing amputates a cats toes.

there are some alternatives -- covers, trimming

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/declaw.html I like this link

:tol sorry for the brevity - i'm typing with one hand...

xoxo
Amy

2ds1dd
06-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Amy -

I had seen that article before and read about the nail-clips. IMO I really don't want to do it unless she gets out of hand with the scratching of the furniture. I'm not "against it", it's just my last resort. I like the idea of the nail-clips and may see if the vet has any of those. I have been working with the kitten and she will let me touch her claws/paws. She is VERY docile.

domesticzookeeper
06-11-2005, 08:39 PM
IMO, declawing has the potential to cause problems you probably won't want to deal with. For instance, many declawed cats have litterbox issues. Also, when a cat feels the need to defend itself, it swats with its claws. Declawed cats, if so antagonized, will often resort to biting. Not good. Plus there's always the risk that an indoor cat may slip outside. Then what?

I second the suggestion of nail caps, as well as keeping her nails trimmed. And train her to use a scratching post now, while she is young: Cats and Claws: Living Happily Ever After (http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=1) :tu.

(ftr, I have 4 clawed housecats, and not a single item of furniture marred ;))

boonpnutsmom
06-11-2005, 09:04 PM
My thinking is, if and that is a big if, they get outside after being declawed they have absolutely no way to defend themselves, OR to even get away (i.e. climb a fence or wall). I personally refuse to do it. Furniture can be protected with covers or even replaced. We clipped all our cats claws regularly and just squirt them with a water bottle if they start scratching somewhere they are not supposed to.

2ds1dd
06-12-2005, 06:06 AM
I started using the water bottle last night and so far she is slooowly starting to get the message. Off to get a scratching post today for her. Her first vet visit is tomm and I'm going to have him clip her nails and show me how to do it myself. And I think I'm going to look into the caps ... if they don't work THEN I'll consider declawing. The last thing I want is for Dh to get upset and want to give her away so I have to make sure whatever we do works.

This Busy Mom
06-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Cats' claws are pretty easy to trim if you have a good set of dog nail trimmers. I do my cats that way. One of them likes to swat at the kids when he's feeling ornery (the one in my avatar).

When I was growing up, our cats were indoor/outdoor. The best hunter was a white declawed cat I had through my childhood. I even witnessed her catching birds...

I won't have my own cats done, though. If I hear them scratching on something that isn't their scratching post, I get out the trimmers.

amstermarie
06-12-2005, 10:39 AM
happy birthday.... congrats on your b-day baby :). i would declaw as a last resort.

cheri
06-13-2005, 04:54 AM
I am very anti-declawing. It's under my definition of cruelty to animals and it's actually illegal in some countries for that very reason.

My cat is indoors only and he has all of his claws. I trim them regularly and he has two scratching posts. Mine prefers corregated cardboard, but all cats have their digging preferences.

2ds1dd
06-13-2005, 05:14 AM
I got the scratching post - she is still learning how to use it.

I got the kitten size nail caps & nail trimmers and will have the vet show me how to use them today.

UltraMother
06-13-2005, 10:38 PM
When the cat is watching you during th day, periodically walk up to the scratchpost and scratch it yourself, with your nails. Also try spraying it with canip oil, or rubbung catnip on it. If she is amenable to it, you can hold her paw, gently extend her claws, and run them down the post. Shell quickly get the idea. sorry-nak

This Busy Mom
06-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Also try spraying it with canip oil, or rubbung catnip on it

oh yeah!! My favorite trick. :laughtears

domesticzookeeper
06-14-2005, 04:11 AM
Catnip, good tip! (and pretty funny to watch them go ga-ga over it :giggle)

But be aware that cats usually don't develop a "response" to catnip until they are a few months old. Young kittens are rarely attracted to it ;)

luvinmykidz
06-17-2005, 04:45 PM
I think it is wrong and cruel :sad2