PDA

View Full Version : there is faint urine smell...

mamatia
06-11-2005, 02:18 PM
on my dipes when i take them out of the dryer. i have heard that tea tree oil can help with this. so i bought some. now what do i do with it?? :shrug

Lady TS
06-11-2005, 02:59 PM
I put about 8-10 drops in my fabric softener dispenser.

Are you double rinsing them?

mamatia
06-11-2005, 07:04 PM

i am rinsing them once, then washing and rinsing again. but i am not rinsing twice at the end. should i?

bostonsmama
06-11-2005, 07:27 PM
you might want to ask about GSE too, im not sure if it will help w/the smell, but i dont know much about it, i hear talk about it all the time though!! :)

Soliloquy
06-11-2005, 08:04 PM

i am rinsing them once, then washing and rinsing again. but i am not rinsing twice at the end. should i?

If I may ask, why are you washing them twice? Did the manufacturer recommend this? Usually, stinky diapers come from too much detergent building up over time. Next time you wash, try using half the detergent you've been using and rinse them 3 or 4 times--and only wash them once. There's a sticky thread about "stripping," which is really just lots and lots of rinsing. I usually strip my diapers every 6 months or whenever they get stinky.

bostonsmama
06-11-2005, 08:11 PM
lisa--i *think* she's rinsing them before washing them? then washing them for the first time, and re-rinsing.

i agree w/the detergent build up, but i know that these dipes she's using are brand new so :shrug

tia--are you making sure to use a teeny tiny bit of detergent?

mamatia
06-12-2005, 07:49 AM
i am rinsing them once, washing them once, then rinsing them again (as part of the normal wash/rinse cycle). i am using a tiny bit of detergent. the smell is very faint and mostly just on the inserts - i am pg and probably extra sensitive to this, but i just want it gone. :D

does everyone use tto the same way (8-10 drops) in the fabric softener dispenser??

wuzzie
06-12-2005, 04:12 PM
I just put it right into the wash water, about the same amount. I think either way would work.

Soliloquy
06-12-2005, 04:29 PM
i am rinsing them once, washing them once, then rinsing them again (as part of the normal wash/rinse cycle). i am using a tiny bit of detergent. the smell is very faint and mostly just on the inserts - i am pg and probably extra sensitive to this, but i just want it gone. :D

does everyone use tto the same way (8-10 drops) in the fabric softener dispenser??

Oh, OK! Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you were washing them, and then washing them again!
Btw, we both have Gracie's about the same age! :tu
If your dipes are pretty new and you're already using a teeny bit of detergent, yeah, the TTO might help. I also sprinkle baking soda onto my dipes when they're in the diaper pail waiting to be washed. Sometimes I add baking soda to my pre-soak, too. Once in awhile I'll add Arm 'n Hammer's Super Washing Soda to the wash cycle. I used to only rinse once, now I always double rinse. I used to smell that on my inserts when I took them out of the dryer too.

anniegirl
06-12-2005, 11:05 PM
I think it's more likely that they're not getting clean enough, rather than a detergent build-up problem. Usually if they stink coming out of the dryer it's because they're not getting clean. Usually with detergent build-up they smell clean coming out of the dryer but you want to run and hide the second they get peed on. I've had both problems, it can be hard to find a balance between enough detergent to get them clean, but not so much that you get build-up.

BornFreeBaby
06-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Tia,

What detergent are you using?

mamatia
06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
all free and clear...

BornFreeBaby
06-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Me too- don't know if that has anything to do w/ it.

I just use up to the first line...hmmm...let me know how the tto works for you