PDA

View Full Version : Shortening-free, dairy-free biscuits

Leslie
06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
I found this online, some guy had posted a thread on a message board about tweaking a basic biscuit recipe and he gave examples of variations. This was one variation. I found it by doing a search for biscuits that use oil. I have doubled all the ingredients. these biscuits are good, we've made them.

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups soy milk (or rice milk, I guess)
1 /2 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients. Add milk, mix. Add oil, mix. Don't over-mix. The guy said to mix milk and oil for a matter of seconds. They can be rolled or dropped.
Bake 12 minutes at 400 degrees.

Leslie
06-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I have a shortening-free recipe for muffins, too. I figure that anyone wanting the biscuit recipe would probably like the muffin one, too. This is adapted from allrecipes.com - I looked for a basic muffin recipe that you could add stuff to for variations, and then I substituted milk for soy, and butter for oil. And then I made up an apple variation that my family really likes, which I'll post, too.

The basic Muffin recipe is:

2 cups flour (I use half whole wheat)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar

Mix and add (I mix all the following in a 2-cup measure so I only dirty it)

1 cup soy or rice milk
1/4 cup oil (to the 1 1/4 line on the cup)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix with flour, pour into muffin tins, bake 400 degrees 12 minutes.

------------------------------------------------

Banana Variation

Add two or three really ripe mashed bananas to the mixyure.

----------------------------------------------------

Apple Cinnamon Variation

2 cups flour
1 Tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup soy or rice milk
1/4 cup oil (to the 3/4 line on the measuring cup)
1 egg
1 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla

I mix these liquids together in the measuring cup, and it makes a thick mixture (so the oil doesn't separate!) Then I pour it into the flour and mix it all up.

Same, same -- Bake 400 degrees 12 minutes.

-------------------

JJsMom
06-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Wow! Thank you so much for these, I'm going to copy and paste them right now! We're dairy free and I love to bake, so woo-hoo! :highfive I have to wait until our thiry days of gluten free is over though!
Thank you! :)

Punkie
06-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Thank you! I'm always trying to figure out ways to make yummy, dairy-free foods!