PDA

View Full Version : Freezing cow's milk?

Allison
06-11-2005, 08:01 AM
I think this goes here. Please move it if it doesn't.

Have you ever frozen milk? We just qualified for WIC and will get 3.5 gallons of milk per week. :eek Right now, dh drinks about 2/3 of a gallon, I use maybe a 1/3 in cooking and the boys and I drink a 1/5 gallon of soy milk per week. So this is a lot of cow's milk for us. I'd like to freeze it because eventually we will use it in cooking, I"m sure.

Chris3jam
06-11-2005, 08:05 AM
My mom used to. We used to do a monthly grocery shopping trip, and she would get the cartons and freeze a bunch of them. To thaw, we would just let them sit in the sink overnight, and then shake it up real good. I've frozen goat's milk, also.

Allison
06-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks!

cobluegirl
06-11-2005, 09:07 AM
yep what she said...

Irene
06-11-2005, 10:33 AM
yep we always froze our milk- WIC gives you so much!!! never a problem for us :)

Allison
06-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I know! Its really the ridiculous the amount of milk you get! Now, we can eat 40 oz of cheese in a week! LOL

Katiebug
06-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Wow, that is a lot of milk!

mamaKristin
06-11-2005, 01:23 PM
The only thing you can't do with frozen milk is get it to froth up if you are steaming it for Lattes...6 years of working at Starbucks and this is one of the best things I learned - you can't froth previously frozen milk. :rolleyes

cobluegirl
06-11-2005, 05:56 PM
When I was on WIC when pregnant with my first...we got like 4 gallons a month of milk...we easily drained it and would actually get 2 more gallons from my neighbor...hehe...we don't drink milk lke that anymore...

Allison
06-12-2005, 04:21 AM
Oh,we could drink 4 gallons a month, easily. But 3.5 per week is an insane amount for us. I should probably see if anyone around here needs extra milk!

BlessedBlue
06-12-2005, 07:41 AM
I live overseas, and frozen milk is the only way it comes! :lol

I'm not sure how WIC works in the States (not having been enrolled in WIC there), but the overseas WIC (WICO) lady told me that if I don't need something that's on the check, I don't have to get it. For instance, I can only tolerate 2 eggs a week, more will make me sick. So I don't pick up the dozen I'm allotted every week. 4 dozen eggs in a month! Sheesh!

mommyTay
06-12-2005, 09:16 AM
I can only tolerate 2 eggs a week, more will make me sick.

I know the feeling, I do not tolerate eggs well. The kids liked eggs, but I hated making 2 meals very often (eggs for them, other for me).

the quantities of food add up fast when there is more than one in you family on the WIC program. Last summer, we had 6 on the program, myself, mouse and 4 infant-preschool foster children. I think for the month, we were getting something like:
22 gallons milk, 9 DOZEN eggs :doh , 5 jars of peanut butter, 172 oz if cereal (about 11 boxes), 23 bottles of juice, 96 cans of pediasure (failure to thrive 18mo) and formula, baby cereal and baby juice. I froze some stuff, but what do you do with so many eggs!
:doh

Chris3jam
06-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I froze some stuff, but what do you do with so many eggs!

Make "crustless" quiches, add them to casseroles, enrich macaroni and cheese with them, bake with them, and when you take them out of their shell, you can freeze them. :D

Irene
06-12-2005, 03:01 PM
o man I shouldnt have read the rest of these posts! just the thought of eggs apparently now makes me sick!!! :sick :lol

herbalwriter
06-18-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm on WIC, too, and I am up to my eyeballs in canned tuna.

I freeze the lactose free milk, which is what we have on our drafts. It freezes really well, for months. You canfreeze cheese, too. :-)

Thia
06-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Tuna....yes. We are swimming in it! Dh has started to eat it for lunch, but how long till he's sick of it? Then I guess it's back to tuna casserole.

Allison
06-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Wow! How much tuna do you get per week? We go through about 2-3 cans a week here, so when I have the baby the extra tuna will help.

herbalwriter
06-19-2005, 06:03 PM
I think it averages out to maybe 2 cans a week, which is not excessive unless you're the only one eating it, as is the case with me! :-) My dh is only 11 months and does not eat tuna.

When the garden starts yielding cucumbers, I will eat tuna salad in a cucumber "boat." I like that. At least canned tuna keeps! :rolleyes