PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful Southern Recipes

Lantern Light Mama
06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
I love Southern food. That was one thing I missed most during our time in Germany.

My grandmother's potato salad is my favorite.

About two or three potatoes washed and cut into small peices. Cooked until tender but not mushy.
one egg boiled, peeled and chopped.
one/fourth cup of minced white onion
one tbsp. on sweet pickle relish
one tsp. white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp of salt or to taste
one/fourth tsp. mustard

combine ingredients. eat hot or refrigerate. We like it cold down here!

Fried Green Tomatoes
Wash and slice green tomatoes.
Batter in self rising flour.
brown in skillet. until tender.
add salt and pepper to taste.

edited for errors* Why dont I use spell check?

My Mama's Biscuits, you cant go wrong with these!
Self rising flour
Milk
About 2 tsp of Mayonaise
1/2 tsp of salt.

My mother swears that mayo makes them moist. I don't know but my husband the Texan loves them. We just mix it all together until we get a dough consistency. No measuring required. For some reason it's the way my mother, and grandmother have made them for years. lol.

I'm still working on perfecting good old fashioned cornbread. It's not as easy to make as it seems. So I am interested in a simple recipe for this.

Id also like to learn to make ChowChow. My grandmother used to make it almost sweet and we ate it on biscuits. She also made her own "peppersauce" which is basically peppered jalepenio's. Sometimes they would pickle green tomatoes in it for flavor. When I think about it we eat all kinds of stuff down here. Most of it is comfort food.

joyfulmomof2
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
wow!! thanks for the great recipes!! :)

Wonder Woman
06-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Fried Green Tomatos....I love em.

You know, if it's edible, somewhere a Southerner has either fried or pickled it - or both! :giggle