PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we're moving

AttachedMamma
06-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Looks like we will be relocating to another state for DH's career. They will be paying for relocating and the details are en route.

I'm suffering from a lot of anxiety about all of this. We own a house. We bought it brand new 5 yrs ago and it was our 1st house. So we have no experience in the logistics of selling a house. I'm not afraid of the real estate transaction. I'm just wondering how everything will all piece together so we can get to the other location soon for DH's job. They want him asap. We also had DD since we moved here, so we have no experience moving her to another home. We've moved out of state several times since we married (one international move), so we have quite a lot of moving experience.

I know some of my questions may be answered when the relocation package offer comes in. But I'm freaking out a bit b/c I have seen several families take 6 mos or longer to sell their home...dad had to leave for the new job out of state and mom and the kids were left behind to deal with the unsold house. :hissyfit I pray, pray, pray that we won't have that experience. :pray

We will *not* be purchasing a house soon after we arrive at the new location. We want to take our time getting to know the area for 6-12 mos to get a "flavor" of the community we want to live in. So, we will be renting and putting some things in storage. How will I decide what things of DD's to put into storage and what to keep out? How will I organize all that so it will be clear what will come to our apartment and what will go into storage? I picture myself visiting this storage facility daily picking through boxes looking for stuff. :rolleyes :shrug

Of course, we also need to shine up our home, de-clutter it, etc. so it is ready to show. (I read the book "Dress your home for success" It is a wonderful resource and it will be a lot of work!) I will have to pack a lot of stuff and move it into the basement. And how will I accomplish all this w/DD around? Believe it or not, she will not want to be parked in front of the TV all day. The hardest part is I have no idea how long it will take to sell our house. :shrug

Any tips, experience or words of wisdom you can offer would be really welcome! Prayers for peace would be greatly appreciated. Ok, I need to take some Rescue Remedy now. ;)

cindi

Mamaka
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
First of all :hug, :congrat and lotsa :pray

We've moved several times as well (including an international move too) so I know some of what you're going through. With us though, we were never moving from a house to an apartment and usually we down-sized every time we moved (went to Alaska w/85 boxes came back w/less than 50; went to Slovakia w/6 boxes + 2 suitcases came back w/2 boxes + 2 suitcases). If you're going to do storage I would recommend labeling all of your dd boxes very carefully and packing them into the front of the storage unit just in case you do need to get something.

I'll think on this some and get back to you if I have any brillant ideas. :idea

RealLifeMama
06-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Moving is stressful!
Especially if you are going to have temporary living conditions and have to make your home sparkle while children live there.

As far as stuff in storage goes, I would have a hard time because I get paralyzed when i have to make decisions like that!
But really, it is a wonderful opportunity to declutter and simplify your life!! You can pack stuff away and see if you really need it after all. You may find you can permanently do without something.
I would start packing now, just putting a couple boxes in each area of the house and if there is something you see that you haven't used in a long time, put it in the storage box.
I think you would be surprised all the stuff that your DD doesn't really need. We had lots of our kids' stuff in the garage for 6 months and none of it has been missed, whereas before, we thought it would be.

I am sure lots of these ladies have tips for you.
Keep posting your questions and stuff.