PDA

View Full Version : an idea for moms with small babies/babies that roll over. . .

Love_Is_Patient
06-10-2005, 02:35 AM
When ds was born a friend lent us a pillow that is designed to keep babies sleeping on their side or back at night. It's basically two bolster-type pillows (cyclinders about 9 in. long and 12 in. circumference) connected by a piece of fabric (adjustable with velcro to leave a 5 in. to 10 in. gap). This allows you to prop the baby on his side or place him on his back and prevent rolling over while asleep.

We used this for the first 1 1/2 months as dh was concerned about him rolling on ds. Most people say that you are not actually likely to roll over on your baby, since while asleep you maintain an awareness of the space around you (this keeps you from falling out of bed). However, concern about this may keep you or your dh from sleeping well, and using the pillow helps alleviate this concern (since the bolsters provide a 'barrier' on either side of the baby). The drawback is that I found I had to take ds out of the pillow for breastfeeding--not such a big deal initially as I had to sit up to help him latch on and I was changing diapers at night wakings anyway. . .but eventually once I learned to nurse lying down and ds had grown a bit we stopped using it. However, I think you could keep using it if you were concerned about his rolling over to sleep on his stomach.

You can order this type of pillow on the internet--a quick search just revealed one called 'the first years back sleeper' from babyuniverse.com (costs $10). Or you could make one (they have a picture at babyuniverse if my description didn't make sense, lol).

--Rachel (mom to J, almost 4 months old!)

boonpnutsmom
06-10-2005, 03:41 AM
There is a mama here that makes something similar but on a bigger scale to keep everybody in the bed. I want one so bad but I'm not in the continental US, so this would be near impossible to ship :lol, instead we do this.... DS#1 is on a futon mattress next to my side of the bed, this folds up and gets put away during the day. I sleep with a rail, so that I don't step on DS#1, then DS#2 next to me, then DH and the crib pulled up to his side of the bed with DD (5) in it. It is hilarious to see this big girl sleeping in the crib but she loves it and she is on the petite side so she is not even cramped at all We used a snuggle nest when DS#2 was newborn and then we turned him around so that his head was away from us and his feet were up by our faces, this worked well till he decided I was his pillow and then he turned himself around and became my Opihi (like a mussle).