PDA

View Full Version : Dreft???

GodChick
06-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Okay, what's the story with Dreft?

1. I saw an article on DiaperPin.com that said NOT to wash with "detergents like Dreft that have fabric softener built in."

2. The bottle of Dreft says that it has superior rinsability, and the Deft website says not to use fabric softeners of baby's clothing because it will effect the fire-retardant nature of the clothing, and that Dreft does NOT effect the fire-retardant nature of clothing.

3. Another article on DiaperPin.com contained instructions provided by Dreft for washing dipes in their detergent.

Soooo . . . what's the deal? Does it have fabric softener or not? Can you wash dipes in Dreft or not? :shrug I figure if anyone would know, you gals would!! :mrgreen :hearts

Moon
06-09-2005, 08:09 AM
I personally wouldn't, I haven't heard anything good about washing in dreft. :-) Especially since you're using pockets, if there is any softener in there, it can put a coating on the microfleece that will have it repelling pee instead of wicking it through. :doh

Oliveshoots
06-09-2005, 08:40 AM
I read on some CD site that Dreft has a waxy substance in it...maybe not fabric softener, but enough that it hinders the absorbency. :shrug

malakoa
06-09-2005, 12:34 PM
i was so allergic to dreft it made my eyes water like i was crying. i use all free or sun free.

AmyDoll
06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
dreft is soap - so it leaves a soapy residue (soap scum) esp if your dipes are fleece.
other detergents aren't "soap" and won't leave the residue.
i use arm & hammer perfume and dye free or all free & clear

hth Amy

*edited to spell my name correctly

GodChick
06-09-2005, 01:29 PM
hmmmmmm...no, i'm sure it's detergent, not soap. but if it leaves a buildup, i'll avoid it. ;)

anniegirl
06-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Dreft is a detergent, not a soap. I think the confusion comes partly because it gets lumped in with Ivory (which, I'm pretty sure is still made of soap) and that Dreft used to be made of soap, but isn't any longer.

There are no softeners or anything waxy about it. The problems with it are it has enzymes in it and is heavily perfumed, which some babies are very sensitive to. Also it's very sudsy, a little goes a long way and it's hard to get completely rinsed. IME, Tide and Dreft are the sudsiest detergents, they both build up quickly on dipes.

If you use it for dipes just make sure to use very little and rinse well . Be careful about the enzymes too. But in the end I don't think Dreft is any better or worse than most detergents.

wuzzie
06-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Last time I used dreft it left my kids clothes feeling slick. In a way that I didn't want my diapers to feel. I'd stay away from it. I once recieved some dipes from a mama that used dreft. They repelled terribly and took about 8 washings to strip them. No wonder they weren't working for her.

GodChick
06-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Be careful about the enzymes too

What kind of problem do enzymes cause? How do I be careful about them? (Thinking I should just avoid Dreft anyway, but I'm interested in learning about the enzymes.) ;)

anniegirl
06-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Some babes get a terrible rash from enzymes. My understanding is that they're live little buggies that literally eat stains. I think the source for the enzymes matters a great deal though. Supposedly the enzymes that are in Bac-out and bi-o-kleen detergent are safe for skin. The ones that are in regular detergents like Tide and Arm & Hammer, etc. are usually the ones that cause problems. I spray poopy dipes with bac-out and have been washing in bi-o-kleen and haven't had any rash problems. But I don't think my little guys skin is all that sensitive. :shrug

Soliloquy
06-11-2005, 08:08 PM
well, other posters stole my thunder, but Dreft is heavily perfumed (why, oh why would a company put perfume in a detergent for babies? :td) Any kind of fragrance is a chemical that's designed to adhere to the fibers--which affects absorbancy and can also attract odors from the dipaer's, um, contents.

In my experience, the cheap, inexpensive free & clear detergents work very well, i.e. Purex. I've also had great results with Allen's Naturally, but it's more expensive and you have to order it. A 75-load box (does about 150-200 loads of dipes) is $20.

GodChick
06-12-2005, 12:00 PM
aaah! thanks ladies! what an education i get here!! :iloveyou2