PDA

View Full Version : It's started! or - Help! Do I have to stop?

Beyond Blessed
06-09-2005, 06:04 AM
dd rolled onto her belly while sleeping. Man!!! So I kept freaking and checking her breathing (which was very shallow since she was in a deep sleep). Now I feel bad because I didn't want to roll her over and risk waking her up (I was half asleep and not thinking right!!). I should have rolled her over :td She's in our bed which is a bit softer than her crib. If she continues to roll onto her belly do I transition her to the crib? :(

Blue Aurora
06-09-2005, 11:34 AM
We had the opposite problem. DS had to sleep on his side or tummy b/c of reflux issues and his cleft palate. He prefers to sleep that way but he went through a stage where he'd roll onto his back and it would freak me out so badly. My dr told me that if he could roll not to worry about waking him up and to just let him sleep.

DogwoodMama
06-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Once they can roll on their own they are OK, they could/would move if uncomfortable... just keep pillows/blankets away from face. :) No need to transition to crib.

Soliloquy
06-09-2005, 02:38 PM
She's 4 months, right? While that is kinda early to be rolling over on her own, I've hear the same thing from doctors--if they can do it themselves, they're OK. Ditto everything about the blankets and the pillows. She'll automatically turn her head to the side if she rolls to her stomach. If you want to roll her back over, go ahead.

Beyond Blessed
06-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Um, I have a sleep number bed and it's pretty soft on my side because that's what is best for *my* back. Everything I read about waterbeds and pillowtops and not co-sleeping with *them* concerns me. Anyone else have a softer bed? I LOVE having her with me. But I would never forgive myself if something happened.

Oh yeah, have to change my profile to her birthdate because I'm not updating it enough - she's 5 months now :grin

Soliloquy
06-09-2005, 02:51 PM
hmm, could you make your side a little firmer just for the time being?

Beyond Blessed
06-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I did try that - but I woke up and couldn't even put on my own pants - dh had to help me. :blush I have degenerative disk disease and this bed is such a blessing for that. :sad2 If I make it firmer I wake up each morning in pain. Does this mean she shouldn't sleep with us?

DogwoodMama
06-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Do you have a crib? Could you attach the crib to your bed, and then she could sleep there? She would be close, but on a firm surface. This is what we have, btw, but dd won't sleep there. ;) It might work for now... depending on how soft your bed is, I think as she got older she could come in/out of your bed. But I understand your concerns now. :hug

Beyond Blessed
06-09-2005, 03:17 PM
:hissyfit I have a stinkin' small room. I'm losing hope here and getting really sad! :sad2 Okay, am I horrible and being unsafe if I keep her with me. I am looking at her right now and :bheart to think of her sleeping away from me. None of my others have really co-slept full-time (all are welcome in our bed) and I am really digging this.

DogwoodMama
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Another thought... could you get a pad or something, like a wool pad, and put it underneath where she normally sleeps?

How soft is the bed *really*? Like what does it look like with her face when she is laying down there... does my question make sense? It's not like "old couch" soft, right?

Blue Aurora
06-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Another thought... could you get a pad or something, like a wool pad, and put it underneath where she normally sleeps?

How soft is the bed *really*? Like what does it look like with her face when she is laying down there... does my question make sense? It's not like "old couch" soft, right?

A pad sounds like a great idea! Can she sleep more on her daddy's side...when my ds got around 5-6 months he actually started cuddling up to his daddy on his own during the night.

Beyond Blessed
06-09-2005, 04:24 PM
:tol not like an old fluffy couch - i just took pics of her in the bed ( she wasnot* happy) but i have to wait for the camera battery to recharge. my side is set at 35. i'm going to try to see if others have a sleep number bed & direct them here. i will try to post the pics in an hour. thanks for all the input

GodisGood
06-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Isn't there a firm divider between the two sides? Why not have her sleep there?

FWIW, all three of my ds's have slept on a pillow top, with an "obese" mommy, and two exclusively in my arms or on their tummies.

Beyond Blessed
06-09-2005, 04:40 PM
((((NurtureMama)))) - I did need to hear that - I didn't know if I had to be legalistic about the guidelines.

AmyDoll
06-09-2005, 04:46 PM
we have a pillowtop queensize bed - it's soft. it's def. cushy. i kept sam in the co-sleeper thing until he outgrew it and then moved him into our bed. he could roll over and he would move his head - he wasn't burying his face in the bed and mostly slept on his back. I figured he was breathing boob most of the night anyway :lol

the guidelines are just guidelines - i knew my baby - we weren't suffocating.

Amy

GodisGood
06-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Nope...You make do with what you have. I really don't know what the issue is with pillow topped matresses. I've never been on one that is as soft as a worn out pillow can get. Most are very firm and there is just the slightest dip when my babes have laid on them. Nothing that would cause them to smother.