PDA

View Full Version : How to Really Love Your Child?

doubleblessings
06-08-2005, 10:30 AM
How to Really Love Your Child? by Ross Campbell
Is this book good/bad??

RealLifeMama
06-08-2005, 10:35 AM
It is in our LLL library so I doubt there would be anything really bad in it but I can't say good or bad as I have never read it.

katiekind
06-08-2005, 11:23 AM
It's a wonderful book.

Silly me, I checked it out of my LLL group's library when my kids were little and flipped through it quickly but I was disappointed because it didn't offer techniques and magic answers! I was thinking that anyone would know what the author was saying about eye contact and touch and so on.

But now that my kids are older, I picked it up again when I was asked to give a talk on "loving your children" at our church. This time I sat down and read it cover to cover and I was amazed. I said to my husband that this author had captured everything that I think really, really matters about discipline. (I.E. that it really is all about the relationship.) There's a new edition out but the one I read was the old one with the author's family in their cute little 70's haircuts on the cover.

TulipMama
06-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I know the author's son. In fact, the son gave me a copy of "How to Really Love Your Teenagers." We had some interesting conversations, and I really respect what Ross Campbell writes because of knowing his son.

I haven't read "How to Really Love Your Child," but really like "Relational Parenting." Like KatieKind said, he's not big on formulas but is big on communicating love to your child and equipping them with what they need. I really benefited from the section on anger in R.P. He also discusses Behaviour Modification quite a bit. He doesn't think it's great, but if it is to be used, it should be used judiciously and limitedly.

mummy2boys
06-08-2005, 08:06 PM
I think this book was good as well :tu

This Busy Mom
06-08-2005, 10:56 PM
His book on children and anger helped me a lot. I think it's called Kids in Danger .

bex
06-09-2005, 08:01 AM
I know the author's son. In fact, the son gave me a copy of "How to Really Love Your Teenagers." We had some interesting conversations, and I really respect what Ross Campbell writes because of knowing his son.

My dh was in an accountability-type group w/ two of his sons (Dave and Dale) for a few years. He feels the same way about Ross Campbell b/c of them. He says they always joked about their "love tanks" but they really love their dad and have great relationships with him. (They're both in their 30's now BTW)

Grover
06-09-2005, 12:17 PM
It was good.Although I think he does believe in spanking.Maybe I have an old copy.