PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recipe for Cheese Enchilladas

Lantern Light Mama
06-08-2005, 08:50 AM
I want to make them homemade but if the cheese is too chewy it gags me. Anyone have any recipes?

RealLifeMama
06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Just cheese?
Or maybe cheese and bean?
The LLL cookcook has one that uses a cheese/bean mixture and it has cottage cheese in it.
Is that something that you might be interested in?

Lantern Light Mama
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
:tu sure!

JJsMom
06-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I hate to even post this recipe because I love them so much and we are dairy free! :cry ;) This is from my Dad and I watched him make them, if you have any questions, pm me! I'm just not sure it will be completely clear from my directions. Here it is!
Corn tortillas (12-15)
Enchilada sauce (3-4 cans- I like La Rosarito's)
Monterey Jack and Mild Cheddar (I use two of those big blocks of each, but I love cheese!)

Grate cheese, add a little salt and pepper (and an onion if you like them). Set aside. Cook tortillas in 1/2 inch of oil in a heated skillet (med. heat). Cook them long enough to make them translucent, not bubbly. Put on paper towels. While still warm, dip tortilla in enchilada sauce (I pour some on a plate or in one of those shallow pasta bowls) so both sides are coated. Fill them with the cheese mixture and roll them. Place them in a glass pan that has the bottom covered in enchilada sauce. Pour more sauce over all of them so they are all coated (otherwise, they get crunchy). Sprinkle a little cheese on top. Bake @ 325 for 35-45 min. Done when cheese is all melted and fork goes in easily. :yum
You can make a double batch and freeze them before you bake them, just don't put foil on top, because the enchilada sauce will eat through the foil!
I'm so jealous that you can eat these! If you make them, please let me know how they turned out so I can live vicariously through you! ;)