PDA

View Full Version : Might be dipping in my toe to test the waters...

Beyond Blessed
06-07-2005, 06:14 AM
The only reason I decided not to cd was that dh absolutely refuses to change ANY CD's. :grin He thinks it's soooo gross to touch em. :grin But I've come to realize that I don't really have him changing THAT many dipes anyway. Soooo...I am contemplating switching. :tu BUT we really don't have the $ to get started yet, I'll have to save. I have TONS of "burp cloths" - basically the Gerber CD's. But does a soaker go on OVER that and then a plastic pant OVER that or do I not use a plastic cover? I can sew some stuff - any good sites with how-to's? I cd'd dd1 for a bit and used Snappi's but she was much older and I can't even remember how long I did it for (Mel, do you remember?) Dh would be so proud if I could CD and save money :grin

TheSweetLife
06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
When we first started CDing I was planning on going with a pocket dipe like fuzzi bunz but they are so darn expensive! I have since started making my own but to tell you the truth I don't know that it is a whole lot cheaper than buying fuzzi bunz after purchasing all the material and then I also got a snap press (which I love by the way). But if you do want to try making them there are tons of resources online and you can find a pattern on the mama bird website: http://www.geocities.com/rew4birth/index.html or go to the diaper hyena website: www.thediaperhyena.com.

You can get covers and fuzzi bunz and some used diapers on ebay if they doesn't gross you out to get used ones :cool.

The gerber prefolds can be really frustrating if they are not the "diaper service" kind because they are not very absorbant at all - they actually have a layer of polyester padding in the middle that of course does not absorbe anything because its polyester, it just makes the diaper look fluffier. If you are going with prefolds and covers, the best price I have found on chinese prefolds is on ebay - there are some retailers that sell new ones on there. right now I use a pocket diaper and then put a prefold in the middle and I haven't had any problems with absorbancy, except sometimes at night because dd sleeps 11 hrs or so straight.

HTH :mrgreen

Beyond Blessed
06-07-2005, 07:52 PM
ummm...what does pocket diaper mean? Is that a cover or an AIO or something totally different? I think I'm getting closer to understanding all this - I spent A LOT of time googling today :giggle

TheSweetLife
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Sorry :O a pocket dipe is where you have something similar to an AIO; the outside is waterproof like PUL (Poly Urethane Laminate) and the inner part which is next to baby's skin is something like fleece or microseude to wick the moisture away from baby's skin and into the soaker (whatever you choose to put between the two layers). The back part of the diaper is not sewn together so you can stuff something inside for the soaker. Fuzzi bunz sells soakers or you can get different kinds like hemp and stuff. I just use a chinese prefold for my dd and fold it three times so its long and skinny and put it in the middle.

When you change the dipe you just take it off and shake out the soaker that is in the middle into the diaper pail then throw in the rest - cleaning off poop first if you need to. Pocket diapers are only good for one changing before they have to be washed whereas a simple cover over a prefold could probably be used one more time before being washed.

Pros of Pocket dipes:
-Pretty close to disposables in the convenience catagory. I just stuff a bunch and have them ready to go under the changing table so they are just like putting on a disposable.
-Not as bulky as prefold and rubber pants IMO
-I don't even have to touch the soiled inner part most of the time. I can just shake it out into a dry pail, toss in the outer part and then when I'm ready to wash I just dump the whole thing into the washer.
-Don't take as long to dry as an AIO; I usually put them on one dry cycle, then leave just the prefold inners in for another dry cycle to make sure they aren't still damp in the middle.

Cons of Pocket dipes:
-Pocket diapers are only good for one changing before they have to be washed whereas a simple cover over a prefold could probably be used one more time before being washed.

Beyond Blessed
06-07-2005, 08:27 PM
ty! :tu Thanks for taking the time to explain this! :heart