PDA

View Full Version : Digital camera recommendations

Mothering by Heart
06-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Feel free to move, but I can't figure where else this should go :shrug

Okay, I want to get a digital camera. I don't want to replace my regular 35 mm. I just ant to "supplement" it, LOL I want to be able to share pics online and e-mail to friends/family. I want a good quality and I have around $300.00 to spend. Is that possible, and if so, what do you recommend?
Thanks

inesperada
06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Yes, that's possible. We have a Canon PowerShot A70 and we LOVE it! My mom did a ton of research before she bought it for me, and all her consumer report magazines and such said it was the best. It is easy to use and it takes amazing pictures. Everyone in my family loved it so much that there are now 4 in my family. :tu

Here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002OD3JY/qid=1118101917/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-8379588-0727229?v=glance&s=pc&n=507846) is a link to the PowerShot A90 on Amazon, a slightly newer model. They're selling it for $257.

It's a really awesome camera, and we couldn't be happier.

2sunshines
06-06-2005, 05:02 PM
For $300.00 you should be able to get a pretty nice digital camera.

We have the Sony Cybershot and really :heart it.

I imagine for the price you are willing to pay, you should be able to at least get a 4.0 megapixel. Probably even a 5.0 (like Liz's suggestion).

BeckaBlue
06-06-2005, 05:03 PM
have an olympus D-580, love it! I wouldn't buy anything but olympus anymore. I have a lower olympus too and it's just awesome! was only $150 too!

Mothering by Heart
06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Ok, do you need anything other than the camera? Does it plug directly into your computer :O I have no idead about these things. I am currently looking on samsclub.com auctions. they have a powershot there, a 4 mp.

odetta
06-06-2005, 09:26 PM
We just bought a Kodak Easyshare a few months back. We splurged for the 6.1 megapixel, which ended up around $360. I know there are other models in the 4.1 to 5.0 range that would fit your budget. We found a place on line that gave us a free docking station - all I have to do is put the camera on the station, press one button, and the pictures download for me. It doesn't print though (that dock is extra $).

Others we were looking at included the Sony Cybershot, the Canon Powershot, and one other major brand. We chose the Kodak because it had the highest megapixel for the price range. And so far we love it. I use it almost exclusively now, and before, I was a firm print-film traditionalist.

SingingPraise
06-07-2005, 08:07 AM
i got my canon A75 powershot for $200 on sale and I love it. Its perfect for what i need.
I don't print from my camera tho - i send them to photoworks for hard copies. But i'll tell you it works great for what i need. It has tons of settings to get great pictures, video capture and i find it very user friendly :)

inesperada
06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
The powershot comes with the cord you need to plug the camera into the computer and some software to help you after it's in the computer. Once they're in the computer we can email, print, or order prints online. You can also burn them to a CD if you have a CD burner.

FindingMyWay
06-07-2005, 10:44 AM
I love my Sony Cybershot!!!!

I agree to get at least 4.0megapixels!

lovemy3
06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
We just bought a Fuji FinePix S5100 and love it! :heart

kris10s
06-07-2005, 11:00 AM
I have a FujiFinePix Aseries that's two years old and I hate how slow the delay between pics is. Definitely compare that when shopping around!

2sunshines
06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Ok, do you need anything other than the camera? Does it plug directly into your computer :O I have no idead about these things. I am currently looking on samsclub.com auctions. they have a powershot there, a 4 mp.

Usually the camera will come with cords so that you can plug it directly into the USB port of your computer. If you want, you can purchase a "dock" that you can plug into your USB port and just have sitting on your desk and then you can just put your memory card from your camera directly into it to download pics from the camera to your computer. That's just personal preference. But keep in mind where the USB ports are on your computer. If you have a newer computer where the USB ports are up front and easily accessible, you probably won't mind plugging it in and out all the time. If you have an older computer where the USB ports are at the back of the computer and not easily accessible, you might want to consider a memory stick "dock" (I don't know what they are actually called) so that you can have easy access to downloading your pictures to your computer.

You will need to purchase another memory stick though. They do come with one, however, usually they are very small ones, which will only hold a few pictures. You will want to upgrade to one with larger mb. Keep that in mind because they do cost a decent amount (of course, more expensive the larger they are) but purchasing a larger one is a definite necessity unless you want to deal with a full camera after only a few pictures. But also keep in mind that you are buying it once and using it forever for all your pictures -- a huge savings over film.

That's really the only other costs that are involved. A camera case if you want. Otherwise I can't think of anything.

Let us know what you decide.

Leslie
06-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I have a FujiFinePix Aseries that's two years old and I hate how slow the delay between pics is. Definitely compare that when shopping around!

I thought the delay was typical of all digital cameras. Is there one that doesn't do that? The one I have is also a FujiFinePix, maybe it's Fuji's that are worse than some others?

musicmama
06-07-2005, 12:33 PM
I have a Canon S1 and I love it. I think I've said that here before, haven't I? I LOOOOOOOVE it!!! I *hated* our old Nikon because it was SO slow between pictures and the shutter delay was AWFUL but this camera is the BOMB.

Unless you're printing huge poster pictures, I don't personally think you need above a 3 or 4 megapixel. Mine is 3.2 and it prints perfect 8x10's. It also has a 10x optical zoom so I hardly have to crop pictures at all (which is where you need a higher pixel camera because you lose quality with cropping).

MySeoulChild
06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
another rec for the Canon Powershot.

I have the A75 - the A90 is the latest and greatest.

I've had pros tell me this camera is the best digital they've found, aside from the SUPER high end ones that are over $500.

Mothering by Heart
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
It looks like the Canon Powershot A95 is what I am leaning toward. It uses AA batteries, which is nice. I just need to find the best price...

2sunshines
06-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh, another thing that I :heart about my digital camera (and I'm sure it's not just my digital camera that has this) is that it comes with rechargable batteries and a battery recharge pack. So I'm never having to put new batteries in it. Our old camera took regular batteries and it ATE THROUGH THEM LIKE CRAZY!!! I hated always buying batteries. The batteries on our new camera last a long time, and when they run out, I just put them on the charger overnight and start again. :hearts

joyfulmomof2
06-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Yes, that's possible. We have a Canon PowerShot A70 and we LOVE it! It's a really awesome camera, and we couldn't be happier.

We have the same one and love it too!!

MySeoulChild
06-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Target is clearancing out their old Powershots (the A70 models, I think) because the new ones are coming in.
You might check with them for a good price :)

Leslie
06-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Wow, lots of recommendations for Canon! I guess I know what my next camera will be!

A friend who does lots of electronic research and buys lots of electronic gizmos was asked about inexpensive digital cameras, and he recommended Canon PowerShot A400 for about $135

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120156

Pixels 3.2MP
Image Sensor 1/3.2" CCD
2.2 x Optical Zoom
3.2X Digital Zoom
Shutter Speed 1 sec - 1/1500 sec
SD/MMC Card

Havilah
06-08-2005, 01:15 PM
You know, if you like your old 35mm can you just get a CD w/ developing? I've been really happy doing this :)

2sunshines
06-09-2005, 04:54 PM
So, any decisions yet???

Just curious...

Mothering by Heart
06-09-2005, 05:02 PM
I am going to go with the Canon PowershotA95. Abe's of Maine (http://www.abesofmaine.com)
has great prices :tu

4LovesMom
06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Ooh, and I second the suggestion to get the battery charger - big money saver!