PDA

View Full Version : Involving daddy

Can Dance
06-06-2005, 12:58 PM
How do you guys make an effort to have your husbands, or the bio father of your child if you are a single parent, involved in your childs life? The more research I do, the more I am convinced that co parenting is the way to go. What do you struggle with in this area? I try REALLY hard to not critisize what he does, or tell him I do it better, or interuppt what he is doing. He parents differently, but I am of the opinion that there is nothing he can't do that I can't except BF! I am always trying to think of ways for DH to bond with our daughter. I really want him to be "attached" to her even when she turns into a surly confused teenager :) just wondering what you all do.
Candice

DogwoodMama
06-06-2005, 07:27 PM
Well, you've probably noticed this yourself, but in my brief experience it seems like there are certain "ages" where co-parenting is easier, and perhaps ages where dad is actually "preferred". Right now, my dh is helping A LOT, entertaining dd for 1-5 hours a day (especially weekends) while I get other stuff done... but when it gets right down to it, I'm the one who can comfort the best, so right now, I'm still her preferred parent.

I really don't stress about it... dh goes out of his way to be helpful (which he really is!) and make sure that he and dd get some time together everyday... I'm sure they'll always have a special bond. :hearts But I personally don't feel the need to have everything totally "equal", we are both her parents, and by that definition "co-parenting". :)

ArmsOfLove
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Dr. Sears book "On Becoming a Father" is an EXCELLENT resource for dads who desire to be active fathers. :tu My dh realizes that when babies are young he is most helpful by helping me be able to do the mothering :) He gets me water, makes dinner if I have the boys on me, and helps immensely with the older children ;) He takes the babies so I can shower and rest and changes their diapers--all practical things. And he talks to them--a lot :mrgreen He's just really plugged in and involved--and the kids know it :)