PDA

View Full Version : MEs--leaks: what am I doing wrong

GodChick
06-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I got some sample ME's in the mail yesterday and I tried them out and they leak all over the place! DD is 10 lb, 9oz, and I got the one-size unbleached diapers and the size medium covers. I washed them 4 times before use like the instructions said. I tried one with an insert and one without. They both leaked down her legs after she peed. I know it was only one pee, because she did it immediately after I put it on! Ugh--both times, she wore the diaper about 30 seconds, peed, and leaked immdiately! :banghead. :shrug The only things I can think of are:

1. Maybe the cover is too big? I got a medium because it's supposed to be good for 10-20 pounds, or something like that, and the small is only for 6-12 pounds or something like that, so she was about to outgrow the small, but was just barely big enough for the medium.

2. Maybe I didn't wash well enough? I hand-washed using 7th generation detergent (instructions said that environmental detergents wouldn't get the diapers clean enough once they were used, though. Is that correct??). Maybe I should have used a detergent like Tide instead? Maybe I should have washed in the machine instead of hand-washed? (The reason I hand-washed is because I didn't think the machine would wash them very well with only two floating around in there without anything else to press them against the agitator, they'd just float around.) :shrug

I really, really wanted them to work!! But the diaper and insert seemed pretty saturated--at that rate, they'll never be absorbent enough when she gets bigger! :(

Gretchen
06-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Two thoughts come to mind ... the diaper is probably too big (is this the one that goes from approx. 8-35 lbs.?) I only had one of those but found with my kiddos that it didn't fit well when they were within a few pounds of either end of the range. I'm guessing the diaper might fit a bit better when she gains another pound or two.

I would try to rewash the diaper in the machine with other clothes. Did you put it in the dryer? I'd do that too ....

Gretchen

milkmommy
06-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Do you have any regular detergent (regular tide or gain sun like that) unbleached materical has a coating on it thats really hard to remove with natural detergents. Id wash and dry a few times with a regular detergent and try again. I doubt the covers to big, I can leave my MEs AF gapping open and three sizes too big and they still wont leak.
Deanna

Larissa
06-06-2005, 06:56 AM
I agree...wash it several times in the washing machine with regular detergent...and also dry it in the drier. It sounds to me like the natural oils and coating are still there.

Grover
06-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Nate was 10lbs at birth and he went straight into ME,however he used the smallest wraps for around 2 months until he had fattened up a bit.Go for the smallest wraps.

memory maker
06-07-2005, 05:33 AM
I had to wash and dry my ME dipes around 6 times before they would absorb. It takes many more times than ME recommends

GodChick
06-07-2005, 07:02 AM
oh! So let me make sure: I should wash it in the washer, then dry it in the dryer or line dry. Then wash it in the washer again. Then dry it or line dry. Then repeat again, until I've done it six times? Oh! I prob. didn't wash it correctly at all: I didn't let it dry between times. Just rinsed and washed it again. Wow--kind of an energy-waster in the beginning, huh? :/

milkmommy
06-07-2005, 07:58 AM
oh! So let me make sure: I should wash it in the washer, then dry it in the dryer or line dry. Then wash it in the washer again. Then dry it or line dry. Then repeat again, until I've done it six times? Oh! I prob. didn't wash it correctly at all: I didn't let it dry between times. Just rinsed and washed it again. Wow--kind of an energy-waster in the beginning, huh? :/

Machine wash and dry with a regular detergent I honestly think tide strips the natural oil the best, you really dont need to dry EVERY time that will take years ;) but a few times kinda fluffs up the fabric, the diaper will also become more assorbent over time so in the begining you may need to change a little more often.

Deanna

wuzzie
06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
And because they are brand new you can wash them with your regular clothes, they don't have to be by themselves.

milkmommy
06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
And because they are brand new you can wash them with your regular clothes, they don't have to be by themselves.

Good point
Deanna

joyfulmomof2
06-07-2005, 08:38 PM
It can be an energy waster in the beginning yes and frustrating because you want to pull them out of the package and use them right away!!! But they will save time, money and energy in the end. :) Don't give up. :)

ozmummy
06-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Is your dd a heavy wetter? My dd was, and I found that ME, even with all the washings and dryings just didn't cut it in the absorbency stakes. They're actually made of polyester and cotton, of which the polyester does zero absorbing, so not the best diaper material...I have had to use hemp inserts with my two ME, otherwise they were basically useless.....

Lantern Light Mama
06-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I still use those I got from Wuzzie (Cathie) on Ds and he is nearly four. They were washed enough when we got them so I never had to worry about removing the natural oils. :rockon They work great for him as long as I have the cover on tight. If they have any life left him them after he's done with them I have plans on reusing them. I line dry them when it is sunny out, and it's always good to do a double rinse on them. They are much softer when dried in a dryer, but they seem to absorb more lined dried.