PDA

View Full Version : keep forgetting grocery

amstermarie
06-05-2005, 04:16 PM
i don't know what is wrong with me lately, i keep forgeting stuff at the store. i wind up going back to the store 4 times a week and i am way overpaying on what i budgeted. i made a list today, than forgot it. so of course i for got some stuff, i told DH we are just going to do w/o till next week. what do you do when you for get stuff. do you take a total inventory b4 shopping? it used to just come so naturally to me, maybe i can blame the pg hormones. sometimes it is stuff we run out of during week, i think some of it may be b/c me and the kids are home now b/c of summer and we are just using more snacks, juice and toilet papper.. ds1 was at school, i was subbing, and ds2 was at sisters. i hope i get it figured out soon before i go broke :sa

Mothering by Heart
06-05-2005, 04:49 PM
:hug

I hate when I do that :/
I especially hate when I go through the trouble of making a list and then forget it...

Mamaka
06-05-2005, 08:18 PM
:hug

I hate when I do that :/
I especially hate when I go through the trouble of making a list and then forget it...

Oh I hate forgetting my list too! Memory isn't what it used to be :rolleyes so can't trust myself to remember what was on it.

I don't usually take a total inventory before shopping, but keep a running list during the week. If I run out of something or get low, I write it down on either the grocery list or the Costco (bulk buying) list. I keep it on a wipe-able refrigerator magnet-thingy and then when I get ready to shop, I re-write it on a piece of paper I take to the store w/me. When I re-write it (a pain I know, but it's what works best for me, also gives me a chance to mentally double check if there is anything else I need) I write it by section of the store - fresh fruits & veges, health/natural foods, freezer stuff, dry goods, dairy/refridge section, etc. I try to write it in the order of how I'll walk the store so I don't forget stuff that's actually written on my list (btdt :rolleyes)

And then if there is something I end up forgetting that I absolutely need, I will make only 1 more stop during the week. Usually I just try to substitute or re-do the meal plan for that night so I don't have to make another trip (I'm lazy and dislike grocery shopping ;) ).

Abinsmom
06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
It's preg-heimers. And once the baby is born, it's just plain mom-heimers. It's really nothing to laugh about, either! We all suffer from it. When I walk into the grocery store without my list, my mind goes completely blank and I imagine I get that 'deer in the headlights' look on my face. Then I proceed to buy all sorts of impulsive things and come home to realize I didn't get what I went there for. So frustrating!

I truly miss my brain and often sing that song from Wizard of Oz just to cheer myself up (you know, when the Scarecrow sings "If I Only Had a Brain").

Edited to add: Ooh -- Mamaka -- you and I are so the same! I have a magnetic wipe board inside my pantry door where I keep lists. I actually keep my grocery list on a magnetic pad on the board (they cost $1 at Michaels) but keep separate columns for grocery store stuff and Costco stuff. I can see where rewriting your list is helpful -- it would be for me, too. I am a very visual learner and actually consider written language to be my first language, and spoken language to be my second! My memory is much better with things I've written versus things I've said. Another reason why I love email!

Soliloquy
06-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I've definitely noticed my short-term memory being affected by PG and BFing hormones.

I never used to need a list unless I was making a specific recipe that was new to me. Now, I have to plan every meal, check the cupboards and fridge, and then make a list. As soon as I make the list, it goes in my pocket, or else I forget it. Before I enter the check-out line, I have to go over every item on the list and make sure I got it.

That's the only way I can get it done!

RealLifeMama
06-06-2005, 11:19 AM
My brain has been foggy since I had children
I go to the store with a list and still forget stuff on the list.
What saves me sometimes is online shopping.
have you tried that?
We have Lowes Foods here and they have a service that you place your order online and then drive up and pick it up.
You can pay with your shopper's rewards points, so it doesn't cost anything.
I don't plan on cashing them in for some cheesy gadget anyway so this is best for me!
Plus there are no impulse buys and you see exactly what you are spending and can delete or add stuff if you are not spending what you want.

amstermarie
06-06-2005, 01:08 PM
What saves me sometimes is online shopping.
have you tried that
i dont think we have it hear... :cry, i have often wished for such a thing. sometimes ds likes to come w/ me, and he has autism and does not behave well in stores at all.