PDA

View Full Version : considering going back to CD

positivemom
06-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I CD for years until my third son born in 3.5 years was about 9 months old...at that point I through in the towel (or the diaper as the case may be..haha) because I was exhausted and needed some relief and my laundry was in my basement and switching to sposies made my life so much EASIER.....now, years later, my yougest son is the only on in diapers and he is 25mos and i am thinking about going back to cloth....help me out here folks....I have about 14 very nice snapstyle thick diapers (can't remember the brand) but they require a cover....I have a million diaper-service style prefolds...I have mostly vinyl cover with elastic legs and a few snap on covers........my biggest problem with cloth diapers is cleaning poopy diapers in the toilet...my boys all have soft-serve icecream texture poop and I have to SCRUB it to come out of the diapers!!!!! I have done this a million times (don't forget I had 3 in CD at one time) but my day s of doing that are OVER...are there any alternatives that actually get the poop off the diaper...and how can I make laundering the diapers SIMPLE...can I throw them in with the rest of the laundry..I do a load of laundry everyday at least....can i just throw them in with that....any thoughts....mostly it was the scrubbing of diapers in the toilet and the work of extra laundry that made them very unattractive to me after about 4.5 y of CD....also, I don't like having to fool with a diaper and a cover...but I don't think I can afford to buy anymore diapers when I look at how many nice diapers I have already.....any suggestons, positivemom

AmyDoll
06-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Sam is 19 mos old and now poops in the potty - it was pretty easy to help him do that. He makes faces and f@rts before ;) so I could catch him. I'll admit, I bribed him - "If you poop, you get a pop" And I would give him a dum-dum and let him flush the potty.

It makes cloth diapering soooo much better - even if I miss him a couple times a week.

Amy

mamatia
06-04-2005, 09:22 PM
www.pottypail.com

i am a cd newbie with some FB on the way, but once i get going, i am SOOO ordering this!!!

IslandMama
06-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Instead, what about starting potty training??? Is he showing any interest/signs? Just an idea. :idea As for scrubbing poop...I always would rinse off or dump any solid poop into the toilet, then soak just the poopy diapers (change water daily) then always do a prerinse in the washing machine with all of the diapers before washing... Then you can throw them into the daily laundry with other clothes if you want! This seemed to get all the poop and stains out. If you still have lots of prefolds, you may just need to buy at least 4-6 covers/wraps. Oh, and using a liner in the diaper made of fleece will allow poop to kinda roll off and keep any stains to a minimum. Just buy some cheap fleece at fabric store or Walmart, then cut... No need to sew edges. (It also will keep baby's skin dry). Good luck! :mrgreen

positivemom
06-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Instead, what about starting potty training??? Is he showing any interest/signs? Just an idea. :idea As for scrubbing poop...I always would rinse off or dump any solid poop into the toilet, then soak just the poopy diapers (change water daily) then always do a prerinse in the washing machine with all of the diapers before washing... Then you can throw them into the daily laundry with other clothes if you want! This seemed to get all the poop and stains out. If you still have lots of prefolds, you may just need to buy at least 4-6 covers/wraps. Oh, and using a liner in the diaper made of fleece will allow poop to kinda roll off and keep any stains to a minimum. Just buy some cheap fleece at fabric store or Walmart, then cut... No need to sew edges. (It also will keep baby's skin dry). Good luck! :mrgreen

do you mean fleece liners or flannel liners...thanks....positivemom

milkmommy
06-05-2005, 06:55 AM
;m sure she means fleece no sewing!
Deanna

Moon
06-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I don't dunk diapers, if it's not gonna just roll off or shake off easily into the toilet, straight in the pail it goes! Fleece liners can be a good idea if you don't mind adding another layer. Not sure where off the top of my head but you can order flushable liners too.

IslandMama
06-05-2005, 08:58 AM

Fleece. And it helps to keep moisture away from baby's skin. Buy like a half a yard (cost you about $3-5) then cut them in rectangles... Very easy! :tu

BeckaBlue
06-05-2005, 11:08 AM
they have rice paper liners. then just take that off and toss n flush! fleece is good too, but when mine have the soft yogurt types, it still takes quite a bit of 'encouragement'. still better than regular flannel or what not ;)

also a 'diaper shower' or 'potty pail' might be good for you! im lovin mine! no dunking and no touching!

wuzzie
06-05-2005, 12:53 PM
You don't have to rinse yur dipes before they go into the washer. Just plog whatever falls off into the toilet and then wash. Do a prewash/soak and an extra rinse. All done!

positivemom
06-05-2005, 02:15 PM
You don't have to rinse yur dipes before they go into the washer. Just plog whatever falls off into the toilet and then wash. Do a prewash/soak and an extra rinse. All done!

if I don't rinse them in the toilet then I can't wash them with the regular household laundry could I ?? that seems gross, what do you ladies do...I guess I am wanting to NOT have to rinse in the toilet AND be able to just throw them in with regular laundry each day.......probably can't have my cake and eat it too!!!

milkmommy
06-05-2005, 02:31 PM
if I don't rinse them in the toilet then I can't wash them with the regular household laundry could I ?? that seems gross, what do you ladies do...I guess I am wanting to NOT have to rinse in the toilet AND be able to just throw them in with regular laundry each day.......probably can't have my cake and eat it too!!!

toss in the diapers run a cold rinse it will get rid of the yuckies enough for you to add other clothes and wash. I didn't own enough diapers to run a load on their own and I had to wash daily. HTH

Deanna

ChristineG
06-07-2005, 04:15 AM
I think definitely flushable liners would be right up your alley. You can get them at lots of places, one being: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/doublers.htm

I used a product called, Flushabye liners which are available at: www.mylilmiracle.com I don't know about the rice paper ones, but I found that I could wash the flushabyes twice if they weren't pooped in and reuse them. They didn't completely break down in the laundry, like a Kleenex would, for example. I don't use them anymore, because I prefer to catch poops even from the time a baby is tiny, but before I did this, the liners were very handy and definitely save you from scrubbing poop.