PDA

View Full Version : darn! we have fleas...

arwen
06-04-2005, 08:49 PM
our dog has them... :rolleyes

we had frontline and it worked great...we didn't have the money to get frontline so i got the cheap stuff.
of course it doesn't work... :td

what can i use?
i've heard that borax is good for the carpet..don't know if it's 'safe' though...
what can i use on the dog?

thanks

AmyDoll
06-04-2005, 08:57 PM
my grandfather always used seven dust (sp?). you can buy it at a feed store - it's cheap and it's used to "dust" chickens.

HTH
Amy

arwen
06-04-2005, 08:59 PM
yeah, but it's pretty harsh chemicals...we keep our dogs indoors at nite...
i've heard borax or salt on your carpets...

and i guess i'll just get frontline again...no wonder we never have money :rolleyes

AmyDoll
06-04-2005, 09:02 PM
:hug Frontline is a neurotoxin

Frontline contains Fipronil, which kills arthropods by preventing nerve transmission. It is reletively nontoxic to mammels, but is still a mild neurotoxin to us. A good site is at http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/fenitrothion-methylpara/fipronil/new-act-ing-fipron.html for more information. To research yourself, click on www.google.com, and type in either Frontline insecticide, or Fipronil.

Amy

boonpnutsmom
06-05-2005, 02:42 AM
DAWN dishwashing soap is great for fleas on your dog. And not toxic.

amstermarie
06-05-2005, 09:51 AM
dont know how big ur dog is, but i always buy the frontline for the large dog... the bigest one they have. and i split the tube, i put like a third a tube on each dog, and a few drops on the cats. and whalla. it is alot cheaper than buying the correct size for each pet.

cheri
06-05-2005, 12:39 PM
I know you don't want to buy Frontline... but really that's the only thing I know of that doesn't harm the animal (some of those OTC flea remedies have been known to cause seizures in animals) and actually gets rid of the ones in your house, too by killing them for something like 30 days. Dawn dishwashing liquid is not going to kill the fleas that are in your dog's sleeping area or in rugs. They'll just jump right back on the dog and reproduce.

arwen
06-06-2005, 06:47 AM
that's a great tip about splitting the frontline!!! :tu

i was going to get frontline for the doggies and then treat the carpet with salt...i haven't seen any fleas on me or jumping on me from the carpet but i want to be sure.

i know if i treat the carpet and then they aren't killed on the dog she's going to get them again.