PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on pouch/native type sling

IslandMama
06-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi! I've used a padded/adjustable type ring sling for all the other babies, but was wondering about the pouch style??? I plan on sewing one (I found a pattern on another post) but wanted to get some opinions, advice, and wearing tips. Thanks!

lenswyf
06-05-2005, 04:16 AM
I loved my pouch for toting baby -- very simple, and easy to tuck into my bag. But I never was able to nurse in it. Later, I learned that it was probably an issue of sizing. Though my pouch was purchased correctly according to their chart, it didn't hold baby up high enough for nursing.

greenemama
06-05-2005, 04:42 AM
yeah, i think my pouch is too big, too. i never really nursed in it, either.

other than that i love the pouch! i love how easy it is -- nothing to adjust or anything -- just throw it on, tuck baby in and you're off. :grin

Radosny Matka
06-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I also love my pouch. Mine is adjustable, which is nice. If I'm wearing bulky clothing, I can let it out a snap setting. It's quick, easy, and I get the most attention when I use my pouch. :D

kris10s
06-10-2005, 08:07 PM
I love my lightly padded leg-rail pouch! It folds up SO small and it's super easy to use. I also made it very cheaply (for the nice sateen stretch cotton it is!) :tu

cklewis
06-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm a pouch fanatic. I have 3. 2 I made, one I bought. I have a summer one that's just cotton, and I couldn't really nurse in that.

But I have a giant black one. I made it SOOOOOOO big. I can nurse like a fiend in that one. My fav story was last Thanksgiving, we were in Target with my ILs and I was slinging DS (11mo). He wanted to nurse, and I could feed him in that thing and cover up so that NO ONE -- not a soul -- knew what was going on. DH was so proud. He said to his dad, "You know what's going on in there, don't you?" FIL: "Yeah, he's sleeping." DH: "That's not all." FIL peers in and still can't tell. DH: "He's eating!" FIL blushed. He never saw anything. But he was embarrassed that I was doing IT in public still.

:P~

C

Hopeful
06-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Kristen,

I love my lightly padded leg-rail pouch

How did you make it? Did you have/buy instructions? I'd love to try and make one !

kris10s
06-16-2005, 06:31 AM
I looked at a few different pouch instructions online and winged it. It was really easy!

http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html
http://crafts.sleepingbaby.net/tubesling.html

I padded one side with some fleece I had laying around, after looking at the hotslings website where she shows the padded vs. unpadded. It goes about halfway around (centered at the seam). I just folded one piece of fleece in half and sewed it one of the hemmed sides. I think the hotslings are a *little* more padded, but I found two layers sufficient. If I make another, I'm not sure if I'd do two or three layers.

HTH!

Soliloquy
06-16-2005, 06:44 AM
I LOVE my pouch sling. I like my Maya Wrap, too, but I felt like I was always fussing with it to get it "just right."

If it's too long to nurse in, twist it before you put it on. The twists should like flat on either side of your shoulder. My toddler loves to nurse in the pouch in the hip carry.

Hopeful
06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks.
I was thinking of making Jan's (http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/tubesling.html) pouch sling.
I made her ring sling which seems really good.
I'm also planning to make her nursing tops.

I love her patterns/instructions...so easy to use!

Iarwain
06-16-2005, 09:52 AM
I finally tried a pouch for the first time around Thanksgiving last year (after nine years of babywearing). I like it for just putting on and wearing all day when Noodle is in one of his up-down-up-down moods 'cause it has less bulk and I don't have the tail getting in the way. It is also nice to fold up and stick in the diaper bag just in case. If you make one out of a lightweight fabric you can literally fold it up and stick it in your pocket. I have two pouch slings (I made both). One is black crushed velvet (my absolute favorite because it is so pretty) and one is leopard print psuedo-swimsuit fabric. Not real swimsuit fabric because it only has the stretch going in one direction but it feels a lot like it in texture and fiber content. That one is my cheapest sling ever. $2 for two yards of fabric (gotta love that bargain table at Wal-Mart) and that's enough for two slings.

If I could only have one sling it would be a tragedy, but if I could only have one it would be a ring sling. But since I can have as many as I like I think a pouch is a nice option to have. I make slings like some women buy shoes. You can never have too many. :mrgreen

A sewing tip: I found it helpful to start with the fabric a little bit longer than I thought it should be and then sew the first half of the french seam and try it on and shorten it from there until it was the right length. You can always cut more off, but you can't put it back on if you make it too short.

IslandMama
06-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Ok....I'm gonna go for it and try to sew one today. I'll let you know how it turns out! I won't be able to try it out, though... Baby is due in about 6 weeks! :preg If this one is a flop, I do own a ring sling... :-)