PDA

View Full Version : po' folks food

Wonder Woman
06-04-2005, 08:14 AM
:yum I'm trying HARD to cut back on our grocery budget. So we're eating poor, like when I was a kid. But my house smells so good....
White beans, a little ham, a few onions, salt/pepper and LOTS of garlic. To be combined with rice and coleslaw on the side :yum
And the whole dinner for less than $4. :tu

Will feed me, dh, ds, and my nextdoor neighbor!

JJsMom
06-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Sounds good! I need more bean recipes! We are trying to cut back on our grocery bill too, so this sounds good. I think I'll leave out the ham though. Did you use canned or dry? Did you cook them in the crockpot? I think I have some white beans. Thanks!

Wonder Woman
06-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I used dry beans, and just simmered them on the stove. If you leave out the ham, add a little oil - it will boost the flavor :yum

JJsMom
06-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks! I will do that soon! :tu

TulipMama
06-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Something my kids like (and even Hubby, though it's not enough for "dinner") is Ramen-N-Eggs. Something from my childhood. . .

Make ramen noodles. Drain. Add seasonings, some butter or oil, and eggs. Scramble together--cooks best over medium heat.

I usually try to do an egg per person / pack of ramen per 2 people. Roughly. You can vary it a lot.

2sunshines
06-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh yea, the ol' egg noodles. I learned that recipe when I got married. My mil cooked that all the time for my dh and his brothers (there were 5 of them) when they were short on groceries. 'Cept we use "egg noodles" then add the butter, salt and eggs.

Wonder Woman
06-04-2005, 06:55 PM
we do rice-n-eggs here...leftover rice from dinner. Saute some onions in butter, add rice, and warm. Toss in a little chopped meat, seasonings (salt/pepper/garlic), and eggs.
Can you tell I grew up in the south?
Eggs and noodles sound good, though, I'll have to try that! Thanks :-)

gamomof2
06-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Wow, I have never heard of mixing eggs & noodles! Or rice, for that matter. Very interesting!