PDA

View Full Version : cloth wipes - tmi!!

mamatia
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
i am switching to cloth (or attempting it anyway!) and am expecting my FB in a few days. do you all use cloth wipes also? i have heard this is easier because you don't have to sort out the wipes you throw away. but if you use cloth wipes, do you have to dunk and rinse them or can you just throw them into the washing machine with the poopy dipes on the rinse cycle? will even the clumpy poo poos on the wipes (in the case of raisin laden poopy!) dissolve and wash away in the wash, or does it take more dunking, etc? (sorry so graphic!!! you wouldn't believe the horrifying images i am having when i start thinking about cleaning poo - and your're talking to someone who's gag reflex has left her almost throwing up on several several occasions!) :sick :P

milkmommy
06-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I use cloth wipes no dunking needed at it all washes away.
ETA : The only thing I really remove from a diaper is what just falls off I seldome dunk it all comes clean.
Deanna

DogwoodMama
06-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I use cloth wipes... I wash poopy ones with the dipes, urine wipes with regular clothes... it's not really a big deal for us! :)

Irene
06-03-2005, 01:00 PM
yeah I found it was WAY easier to use cloth wipes- no dunking here either :) course, I couldnt believe it took me over 2 years of cloth diapering to figure out to use cloth wipes too :lol

mamatia
06-03-2005, 01:15 PM
okay...<reluctant grossed out look on my face> if you all say so...i guess i'll try it. :lol i am so nervous about this whole thing. i feel like there is no way someone like me (who was gagging with tears rolling down my face in fazoli's just last week because my friend's son had diahrrea (how do you spell that anyway??) and it SMELLED and was LEAKING on the floor!!

i guess one thing is for sure - if i can do it, anyone can! i guess we'll see.... :D

MarynMunchkins
06-03-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't dunk either. I use the edge of the diaper to wipe any nasty clumps, and than use the wipe. :shrug It's not that big of a deal. :)

Irene
06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
hmm well, I think other peoples kids poop is much grosser than my own kids' ;) and I have had the wonderful experience of poking a hole through a disposable wipe and touching the poo--- doesnt happen with cloth! :) are you puking yet? :lol

I dunno, babies poop whether you use disposable or cloth, so either way, to me its not altogether fun anway :D

milkmommy
06-03-2005, 01:28 PM
okay...<reluctant grossed out look on my face> if you all say so...i guess i'll try it. :lol i am so nervous about this whole thing. i feel like there is no way someone like me (who was gagging with tears rolling down my face in fazoli's just last week because my friend's son had diahrrea (how do you spell that anyway??) and it SMELLED and was LEAKING on the floor!!

i guess one thing is for sure - if i can do it, anyone can! i guess we'll see.... :D

umm I've CD pretty much since bith through my own DD boughts will illness etc but.. my newphew had an explosive diaper at a dennys (much like what you described) and I was really fighting the urge to go :sick2. Even typeing this I feel :sick. Its just diffrent when its your own.

Deanna

mamatia
06-03-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't dunk either. I use the edge of the diaper to wipe any nasty clumps, and than use the wipe. :shrug It's not that big of a deal. :)

OH!!! :doh

i hadn't thought of that!! i know it's not brain surgery, but i just imagine wiping all the clumps away with wipes. of course that makes sense!! and that explains why my mil, who obviously used cloth, does it that way! so you wipe it with the dipe, then wipe excess with wipe, then you only have one thing to really rinse out!!

wow, i know you guys probably think that is no big deal, but you wouldn't believe how excited i am to have some type of plan! :rockon

hmm well, I think other peoples kids poop is much grosser than my own kids' ;) and I have had the wonderful experience of poking a hole through a disposable wipe and touching the poo--- doesnt happen with cloth! :) are you puking yet? :lol

I dunno, babies poop whether you use disposable or cloth, so either way, to me its not altogether fun anway :D

:lol :lol very true. other people's poo is definitely grosser than my own (heck, i can't even wipe another kids snotty nose without gagging, yet i manage to wipe my own dd's all the time :shrug) and, it is also very true that poo is no fun any way you look. and i figure she only goes once a day now, and usually it isn't that gross. i really want to cd the new baby, so i guess this is a way to get "broken in" so to speak.

although, after i prove to my dh this is an okay deal, i'm getting the Potty Pail!!! :mrgreen

mamatia
06-03-2005, 01:35 PM
umm I've CD pretty much since bith through my own DD boughts will illness etc but.. my newphew had an explosive diaper at a dennys (much like what you described) and I was really fighting the urge to go :sick2. Even typeing this I feel :sick. Its just diffrent when its your own.

Deanna

thanks - i'm glad i'm not the only one! that makes me feel tons better! :mrgreen

mamatia
06-03-2005, 01:36 PM
this all being said, where is an inexpensive, good place to buy cloth wipes???

milkmommy
06-03-2005, 01:40 PM
this all being said, where is an inexpensive, good place to buy cloth wipes???

I have a combination of ones from montana diapers (they are great and reasonably priced) and simple wash cloths super cheep and work great.

Deanna

mamatia
06-03-2005, 01:47 PM
thanks! :)

Irene
06-03-2005, 01:49 PM
I cut up a bunch of flannel scraps...

BornFreeBaby
06-03-2005, 01:54 PM
wow, i know you guys probably think that is no big deal, but you wouldn't believe how excited i am to have some type of plan! :rockon

:clap Same here! Well its good to know that I dont HAVE to do the dunking.

Feeling nauseated by this thread :sick but love the info :mrgreen

mamatia
06-03-2005, 01:58 PM

:clap Same here! Well its good to know that I dont HAVE to do the dunking.

Feeling nauseated by this thread :sick but love the info :mrgreen

sorry. :O :mrgreen

Moon
06-03-2005, 02:19 PM
What perfect timing, I opened the reply to thread window, and Moose wants to climb into my lap with a stinky dipe on. :grin

The dunking sounds more gross than wipes to me :lol I have a 17mo and have yet to "dunk" any of his diapers. If it's solid enough to shake off into the toilet, I'll do that. Otherwise the whole thing goes straight into the pail, wipes and all.

My favorite wipes are either velour or hemp fleece on one side, and flannel on the other. The flannel part rarely gets used tho, velour and hemp fleece are both pretty "grabby" and more efficient at cleaning bums.. Most diapering wahm sites carry wipes too.

IslandMama
06-04-2005, 02:35 PM
This is soooo funny!!! :laughtears Either way, you'll be looking at the poop whether you use cloth or disposable wipes... Just wanted to mention that you don't have to buy fancy cloth wipes (unless you love those cute prints!). Cheap washcloths from Walmart that come in a mega pack work just as good!

mamatia
06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
This is soooo funny!!! :laughtears Either way, you'll be looking at the poop whether you use cloth or disposable wipes... Just wanted to mention that you don't have to buy fancy cloth wipes (unless you love those cute prints!). Cheap washcloths from Walmart that come in a mega pack work just as good!

i know - it sounds rather silly. :O can you believe these are seriously concerns i have?? and i've been changing poopy diapers for 18 months now! :rolleyes :D