PDA

View Full Version : Sewing changing pads--what goes in between?

mama2mychildren
06-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I want to make a changing pad to match a receiving blanket/burp cloth set I made. What material can you use in between that will be washable yet waterproof when changing? How do you sew it?

Lady TS
06-02-2005, 02:32 PM
Well, this probably isn't exactly what you are looking for but...

When ds2 was born, I needed a changing table cover--you know, the type that is white vinyl-type with foam inside?

Joann's has that vinyl stuff with flannel backing. That's what I got, and put some scrap quilt batting in the middle.

I bet you could use fabric on the outside of your changing pad and put a layer of the vinyl stuff(?).

That's my first suggestion.

My next suggestion for a water-RESISTANT, but not waterproof layer would be the nylon stuff Joann's has. Last summer I got like 1/4 of a yard to try and make an AIO out of a Bummis cover that wicked pretty bad. I sewed it inside the cover and it's not leaked that I recall. I'm not sure what that type of fabric is *supposed* to be used for, I just asked the lady if they had any nylon fabric that would repel water. It's a LOT thinner and more pliable than the vinyl stuff.

Of these two suggestions, I think I'd probably go for the Nylon stuff because it'd probably give you a better end product. :)

bostonsmama
06-02-2005, 07:53 PM
what kind of changing pad are you wanting? like a thick one that lays on a dresser?? im guessing you want one to fold up and put in your bag? if so, ive made lots of these to match my bags, burpies, etc. i just bought a yard of the lap pad material from joann's back with the baby materials. then sew a border around it, covering one side. super easy, nice to protect babe when out, and pretty much waterproof. i dont know the actual name of the stuff.....but this is *not* for a big thick pad....not pillowy if that makes sense?

joyfulmomof2
06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
if it is to go inside a bag, you could just sew one side cloth (flannel, cotton, fleece) and the outside PUL type stuff.