PDA

View Full Version : wheat bread

Heather Micaela
06-02-2005, 12:43 PM
I am looking for a good "real" wheat bread. One that is not glorified white bread but actually whole wheat. However it cannot have too much obvious grains and texture in it or DH wont like it for sandwhiches. Any ideas? The less expensive the better.

Beyond Blessed
06-09-2005, 09:35 AM
oooh I would love a good recipe too!!!

Mothering by Heart
06-14-2005, 01:31 PM
We like the Oroweat, Whole Wheat. We buy it at Costco.
Wait, are you looking for a recipe or store bought?

Heather Micaela
06-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Thank you. :grin I was actually looking for store bought but they moved the thread here for some reason.

However, recipes wouold be weome to help out the second poster :)

Beyond Blessed
06-14-2005, 02:22 PM
:O :grin Whoops - yeah I'd like a recipe :grin

moosemama
06-19-2005, 07:16 PM
This is the recipe my mom made when we were growing up. I've taken it and modified it. Mods noted in brackets. The recipe is really easy to add more to and play around with. Made the way the original recipe states it makes 2 nice loaves. With my additions it makes 3 slightly smaller than normal loaves. This is what we eat at our house all the time, we love it!

1 packet yeast [I use 2 1/2 slightly heaping tsp, which is a little more than a packet]
2 1/2 cups hot water
1/4 molasses [I use a little less than 1/4 cup molasses and fill the rest of the way with honey, then put in a tbsp or more extra honey.]
* Mix in bowl and let sit for 10 minutes while you mix the remaining ingredients.

3 1/2 cups white flour
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour [I use much more whole wheat, like 2 cups white and the rest WW]
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk [I add extra, possibly even double]
1/4 cup wheat germ [again, I add a little more]

I also add:
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 cup ground flax meal
dough conditioner according to package directions - helps lighten texture of bread, though it is still a pretty heavy bread

Mix all dry ingred in large bowl. Then add:

1 egg [I add 2]
1/4 cup oil
yeast mixture

Stir until mixed, then dump onto floured counter and knead. Dough will be sticky (at least it always is for me, especially with my modifications). Add more flour as needed and knead until dough becomes elastic and smooth, though I've never had it be a dry smooth, it is always a sticky smooth if that makes sense. I knead about 10 min. I think... never timed it.

Put into oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise about an hour.

Dump onto counter - I oil the counter for this step instead of flouring. Flatten, divide into 2 or 3 pieces, depending on how much extra stuff you've added. Knead each piece a little then form a loaf and put into oiled bread pan. Cover and let rise 20 minutes or so. I usually let it rise a whole second hour because I forget about it =)

preheat oven to 400. Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 and bake 20 more minutes or until a nice brown. Remove from oven, cool, then remove from pans. I always take one loaf out of the pan way early. Nothing better than that first slice of bread, still steaming hot from the oven and slathered in butter. Mmmmmmmmmm...

Beyond Blessed
06-19-2005, 07:23 PM
ty! That sounds yummy :yum I'll have to try it soon :tu