PDA

View Full Version : growing pains???

gentlemama
06-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Is there such a thing as "growing pains?" My 2.5 y/o sometimes wakes in the night crying saying that his legs hurt. Wondering if I should chalk it up to "growing pains," and what I should do to ease his pain.

Beyond Blessed
06-02-2005, 12:14 PM
My ds has been doing that since the same age! But my 6 year old has not :shrug I chalked it up to growing pains. I gave him Motrin and a leg rub. Once I had to put him in a warm bath. I got so scared finally that I took him to a dr and they did xrays and he's completely fine. They called it growing pains too. :shrug

Miranda
06-03-2005, 10:52 AM
All of my kids get this! each of mine have one of those "majic bags" that you heat up in the microwave and that seems to help. If it's really bad we give tylonal. :shrug

mylittlemen
06-04-2005, 02:16 AM
I had terrible growing pains when I was little - maybe 3-5 years old. Dh says he did too. :( But no one else in our families did. I remember them very well, they were very, very bad. My Mom didn't take me very seriously. If my kids have them, I will definitely give them Tylenol. I don't know what causes them. Mine hurt right in the backs of my knees, not like muscle pain, really. I am sorry your ds is going through this! You too! :hug

Heather Micaela
06-04-2005, 02:42 AM
I know I heard you do your growing while you sleep, which is why it is important that kids get a good nights sleep. So if he is crying at night it probably IS growing pains.

What to do about it, I dont know.

Ali
06-04-2005, 11:29 AM
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/50/59.cfm

Here's a little article. It says growing pains are usually from 4-6 years old, but I know of a couple other moms who's kids complained of them before 2 years old. I also used to get them and my mom would bring in the heating pad. She'd let me sleep with it, but I guess that really wasn't very safe. :) :pray

gentlemama
06-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the responses. At least now I have some idea of what to do for him. Poor guy!

PurpleButterfly
06-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Chances are they are just "growing pains", but because of the experience on mama friend had with this, I would strongly recommend getting him checked out by at least one doctor. The leg pain often dismissed as "growing pains" can sometimes be associated with joint infection/diseases and also childhood leukemia. :(

Like I said, it's probably just growing pains, but to me, it would be well worth the time and expense to have at least one doctor confirm through a blood test/exam that there is nothing else potentially going on. My friend had a strong feeling about her ds's leg pain, even though the ped was not concerned, and she visited several peds before finally getting her ds diagnosed. This was four years ago and he is doing beautifully, PTL, at least in part because it was caught very early. :heart