PDA

View Full Version : do you want a greyhound

amstermarie
06-02-2005, 06:38 AM
i am so sad, :hissyfit :cry i want to adopt every one of these dogs!!!!!!!!!! i don't think i can take one though, :cry never mind 56. :cry :sad2 i asked DH, he got mad :td . i am stupid even for asking i am having trouble w/ ds getting along w/ animals.
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050602/NEWS01/506020455/1075
the link will probably only be good today, i might be able to update it for a few days after that... but after 5 days you have to pay to see old stories
Dogs that survived the fire will never race again, Arlene Wootten said. Those that recover will be put up for adoption through Homeward Bound Greyhounds.
"The dogs are gone. It's pretty hard to start from nothing," she said.
i don't feel sorry for her, i do feel awful for the dogs . if they were not locked up in little kennels they might have had a chance, i dont agree with racing dogs, or horses.

domesticzookeeper
06-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Oh man, a greyhound is my dream dog, I so wish I could have one right now :cry I hope they are able to find them all homes, mind if I post this link on other forums?

amstermarie
06-02-2005, 07:33 AM
i do not mind, but it might not work tommorow, they change the links every day....

Piper2
06-02-2005, 08:30 AM
A friend of ours in Dunedin had a rescued greyhound named Duckie. She was the sweetest thing, but I think they have particular medical needs, so you have be willing and prepared to take care of those when you adopt one. She died a few years ago, which made me so sad because Kevin had just gotten old enough for us to take him around to meet the dog. She was very gentle and just loved to sit (actually, lay -- greyhounds can't sit ;)) with her head in your lap. :hearts

If I had the space and the resources, I'd definitely adopt one.

amstermarie
06-05-2005, 09:52 AM
5 more died :cry :cry :cry :sad2 :banghead

amstermarie
06-05-2005, 02:08 PM
i just heard another one passed, 16 total :hissyfit

amstermarie
06-07-2005, 07:44 AM
the dog owners removed the dogs from the hospital AMA!!!! there is no explaniation, 1 was still critical, one was still serious. but the vet did not feel they shoul be moved yet. the owners decline to coment why they moved them. i think it is just another example how all they care about is money. they can not race the dogs again, the dogs vet bill were being paid mostley by donations!!! so why wer they in such a hurry to bring them back to the track :td. i am very angrey :mad
i dont know when homeward bound will get them, or if they will take them all, there is still like 51, i wish i could at least foster a few dogs, but i really can't. :( i have asked everyone i know to consider the dogs, i htink my sister is thinking about it... i feel awful :mad :mad
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050607/NEWS0102/506070434/1002/NEWS01
actually i just had a thought, they probably need the track vet to examine them so they can go and collect there insurance policies on the animals.... :banghead i would wager that is it, they could not wait a little longer...

domesticzookeeper
06-07-2005, 07:50 AM
This is so :cry and :banghead.

If I lived anywhere near Florida, I'd take a dog (or two) in a heartbeat :(

2ds1dd
06-07-2005, 10:30 AM
actually greyhounds CAN be taught to sit - we had one for many years and taught her to sit as well as speak.

Piper2
06-07-2005, 10:56 AM
actually greyhounds CAN be taught to sit - we had one for many years and taught her to sit as well as speak.

Yeah, they can sit (be taught the command), but not straight on the bottom of their ends...it has to be sort of sideways, doesn't it, because of how their tails come out their backsides? At least that's what I was told, and the one greyhound I've ever seen up-close never sat up, KWIM?

I didn't mean to insinuate they were dense or untrainable. :O

2ds1dd
06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
nope she sat like any other dog would

amstermarie
06-07-2005, 11:56 AM
they sit and do things regular dogs would. they have medical problems, but then again most pure bred dogs do b/c most pure bred dogs in the us have been imbred.

Piper2
06-07-2005, 12:02 PM
OK...I stand (or sit) corrected. ;) :mrgreen

amstermarie
06-11-2005, 11:07 AM
for any floridians , or anyone visiting fl... they have updated the web, it now has some pix of available dogs from the fire... only a few, but more will come as available..
http://www.homewardboundgreyhounds.com/Available.htm
domesticzookeeper please post on your other board, i would love it if the dogs had new homes quickly. :)
they need all the help they can get.
i can't do much for them :( but maybe my post will help one get a home :)... its a nice thought any how...

domesticzookeeper
06-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Will do :tu

UltraMother
06-13-2005, 10:31 PM
I would love to do this someday. I just met a neighbor who was walking 2 greyhounds that were rescued from a local track the other week. They are such beautiful dogs!

amstermarie
06-21-2005, 01:19 PM
i just looked at the site again, several dogs have adoptions pending.... :jump2. however there were only 13 dogs from the fier on the board, i am wondering where the other dogs are. i guess they could still be to ill to post, or maybe another agency took them. i just hope they were not put down.