PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed this piece of slandar on the Pearls' webpage?

DebraBaker
06-01-2005, 07:00 AM
nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=25&backPID=27&tt_news=221 {Edited to make this a dead link}

Apparently eight of us are "possessed damsels."

Do you think there are a mere eight of us???

And possessed? Last time I checked I couldn't turn my head 360 degrees.

Debra Baker

Oliveshoots
06-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Oh ICK ICK ICK!!!!!! That takes alot of nerve. I especially :spit at the part where the writer (him? her?) made a comment about maybe the state would ask them to come and teach foster parents how to train the State's children :spit :banghead :hissyfit But it's rather humorous, because as far as I know, foster parents are not allowed to use physical punishment in any form. Or is that just an NC thing?

It sounded like they were accusing these "8 damsels" of a crime (the fake email to get credit info), which IMO, would be slanderous.

APMamaX4
06-01-2005, 07:13 AM
From that link:

Since there are only 8 of them, and 150,000 of you, it should be quite easy for the Saints of God to disrupt the “ministry” of these ungentle damsels. They must not have much of a love life or family life, because they spend so much time bashing us.

:lol You gotta love how he calls his followers "Saints of God"!

And how about him saying that the "damsels" must not have much of a love life or family life, since they spend all this time bashing them?! Ummm who is it again with several books in print, several DVDs out, tons of tapes, a website, a newsletter, and more?? So, who is it that spends so much time trying to promote his agenda, again?? And this is supposed to be an indication of one's love life or family life? LOL! Man... leave it to Michael Pearl to clam up and get all defensive and REACH for straws any which way he can and try to twist things around. This cracks me up!!!

DogwoodMama
06-01-2005, 07:15 AM
:rolleyes

I have wondered about this too... seems mighty suspicious to me. I don't buy it.

Chris3jam
06-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Hmmmm. I seriously doubt that they have a "clean bill of health" from the "nice detective". I'm sure that if anyone looked, they would find a "record". Maybe they didn't "do" anything (after all, the Pearl's no longer have children at their home, right? All of their children are grown?), but I'm sure there would be something. Spanking, the way the Pearl's describe it (yes, I know, I've read TTUAC), IS actually illegal. It would be interesting to see what there is on record. Also, I seriously doubt that there are "8 possessed damsels" here. Last time I looked, nobody at this board would stoop so low as to deliberately "disrupt" anybody's website, or send nasty e-mails to anyone.

Leslie
06-01-2005, 07:19 AM
"Also, someone has (perhaps these same damsels) started messing with our website. It adds extra work for us, just trying to pull down orders and e-mails. Someone has sent messages in our name wanting credit information. We NEVER ask for credit information from you, so please, NEVER give out information thinking we have asked you for it. One man contacted us, complaining of the nasty e-mail we sent him. We did no such thing! If it was nasty, it certainly didn’t come from us!"

This can't be someone from here. I know there have been reviews left saying they didn't like their books, but this doesn't sound anything like that. And trying to tamper with the website? That wouldn't be anyone here either.

greenemama
06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
i don't understand -- these posessed damsels are from GCM?

they're total freaks. i can't believe the CPS person wasn't concerned. :sa

prayerbear
06-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Never heard of them. Are they people who are big in US? were they with GCM? sorry to be so dumb. Are they saying your one of the eight? Do you phone ahead of their meetings then? They dont mention GCM so I presume they are meaning eight from out in the world somewhere. Is there more of a connection than I am reading?

DogwoodMama
06-01-2005, 07:24 AM
When I read that it struck me that I don't know any Christians who would do that... *maybe* non-Christians... there may be some truth in his claims about someone alerting SS or warning churches (reasonable acts) but I doubt the rest. I would not support any illegal or underhanded tactics or harrassment of the Pearls. But I do believe frank discussion & evalution of their methods is appropriate. But you don't want to give a paranoid, close-minded individual like Michael Pearl any "ammunition". :neutral

DogwoodMama
06-01-2005, 07:25 AM
I *don't* think they are saying they are GCM mamas...

hsgbdmama
06-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Isn't it curious that they liken themselves to Paul :spit, who after his conversion, always reached out his hand in love, never in punative discipline! :td

MarynMunchkins
06-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Um...asking for credit info through email is a pretty common scam. That's not trying to get their stuff destroyed by people who disagree with them - that's just a con artist trying to get money. :shrug

And there are a heck of a lot more people than 8 women who are trying to get Michael Pearl's garbage out of the church. :rolleyes

milkmommy
06-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Last time I checked I couldn't turn my head 360 degrees.

I tested this theory this when my dd suddenly decided she could fly off the up stairs banister, it didn't work.. :spit
Michael Pearl is so full of himself its :sick2

Deanna

Piper2
06-01-2005, 08:02 AM
I don't see where he's specifically talking about us, either (unless you take his term "ungentle damsels" as a hint). I'm sure he's probably aware of this site's existence and that we don't agree with him, but if he is accusing someone here of trying to sabotage his website, etc., he's at least smart enough not to name anybody directly.

And while I'd love nothing more than for all their materials to disappear from the earth, I'm not about to invite a head-on collision with people like that -- they fight dirty. :rolleyes

DebraBaker
06-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Well....at least, judging from that editorial, we *know* they fight dirty.

BTW: how does Michael Pearl know we don't get turned on in bed by fighting his nastiness. To take any of this to a married couple's bed is absurd.

Debra Baker

TulipMama
06-01-2005, 08:30 AM
i can't believe the CPS person wasn't concerned.

I'm sure he's very charming in person. So is Ezzo by all accounts.

They are able to make what they do *sound* reasonable.

And we don't know that he is being completely honest about the CPS visit.

My understanding is that they no longer have minor children in the home--it could very well be CPS had nothing to *really* do in this situation, even if they didn't approve of his actions.

hsgbdmama
06-01-2005, 08:52 AM
BTW: how does Michael Pearl know we don't get turned on in bed by fighting his nastiness. To take any of this to a married couple's bed is absurd.

I do not know much about the Pearls, other than the little I have read; I did read Mrs. Pearl's Created to be His Helpmeet, and while she does bring up some good points about revering and respecting your dh, there were quite a few things I did not agree with. After further processing, I realized that they seem quite hung up on sex -- there were several places where she suggests that women normally turn away from their husbands and turn to other women (without citing any studies or stats), and there is a Biblical teaching section that Mr. Pearl wrote (because of course, women cannot teach these things according to him), where he describes a woman's wanting to constantly be in Biblical study as "spiritual masturbation." :eek

Sara
06-01-2005, 09:02 AM
deleted

greenemama
06-01-2005, 09:17 AM
They're quacks. I'm sorry, but they are. I just truly believe that they have some mental instability going on.

::nodding head vigorously::

TulipMama
06-01-2005, 09:20 AM
where he describes a woman's wanting to constantly be in Biblical study as "spiritual masturbation."

Does he really use that phrase?!

That is just SO demeaning.

(Not that I thought he respected women, but THAT shocks even me.)

Even though I disagree with some of what Doug and Nancy Wilson teach, at least they have a high view of women studying the Bible, learning theology, and investing in their spiritual growth and relationship with the Lord.

"Christian wives tend to leave the "fat books" and theology to their husbands. While this may look "submissive" to some, it is actually disobedience. It is not enough that we know Proverbs 31, Ephesians 5, 1 Peter 3, and 1 Corinthians 11 & 14. We have to know more than how to be a good wife. Afterall, our first calling is to be a good Christian, and if we are good Christians, we will be good wives and mothers. We musn't be afraid to study topics other than those which are related to being a wife and mother. We see in Scripture that women became disciples along with the men. What is a disciple? It is not a mindless follower. A disciple is a student -- someone enrolled in the class."

"This can even be seen in passages of Scripture which some have sinfully misunderstood and written off as "anti-women." When Paul prohibits women from teaching men, he (in the same breath) requires Christian women to be students of the Word. Let a woman learn . . . (1 Tim. 2:11).

From "Being a Woman of the Word"
by Nancy Wilson (http://www.angelfire.com/ma/meandtheboys/theology.html)

hsgbdmama
06-01-2005, 09:47 AM
where he describes a woman's wanting to constantly be in Biblical study as "spiritual masturbation."

Does he really use that phrase?!

Yup. :sick2 :td

DebraBaker
06-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm ok with my op being edited to create a dead link but I would like to know why?

If I'm not allowed to link to other places I'll try to remember.

....Or if you didn't want anyone to know that GMC moms were visiting them.

I just throught it was creepy that we were (indirectly) being called, "possessed" because we strongly disagree with them.

DB

Leslie
06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
<<It is not enough that we know Proverbs 31, Ephesians 5, 1 Peter 3, and 1 Corinthians 11 & 14. We have to know more than how to be a good wife. Afterall, our first calling is to be a good Christian, and if we are good Christians, we will be good wives and mothers. We musn't be afraid to study topics other than those which are related to being a wife and mother.>>

I love this quote from Nancy Wilson! If I have to go to one more women's study and do another book about a Prov 31 Woman, or character study about Ruth, I think I'll go mad!

milkmommy
06-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm ok with my op being edited to create a dead link but I would like to know why?

DB

Correct me if I'm wrong but by giving a dirrect like were kinda giving a gate way for "them" to also come here and possibly cause trouble we don't want our site teamed up with theirs, by making it a dead link we can still choose to go read the information but must do so in another screen after adding the http info. Make any sense?

Deanna

Chris3jam
06-01-2005, 11:48 AM
You know, after thinking a little more on it, we all know that he has enough rope to hang himself. This CPS thing might just be the last piece. I'm sure they couldn't "do" anything because of no minor children in the home, but they will probably be on the lookout now, and I'm pretty sure they have some record somewhere. I remember when CPS came to my house once. They assured me the "charges" were totally groundless, they were very, very nice, they talked to my child alone, they talked to me alone, etc., etc, and assured me that I would not have a record -- they pretty much made me a "friend". Surprise! Um, yes, I *do* have a record (or did, depending upon statute of limitations). The only thing I can think of is that there is a difference in an active file and an inactive one; I dunno. :shrug

shilohmm
06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Um, yes, I *do* have a record (or did, depending upon statute of limitations). The only thing I can think of is that there is a difference in an active file and an inactive one; I dunno. :shrug

In our state, at least, your record is supposed to be erased after so many months if it's "unsubstantiated". Or so a social worker told me - my lawyer was sitting right there, so maybe so. ;) They're also more likely to let you off depending on your neighborhood - when we moved in, everyone in the neighborhood had dealt with CPS, mostly for stuff that in my mom's neighborhood went unremarked. Some CPS people go for those they figure don't have resources (one lady tried to get me signed up for all manner of things until I finally told her where my parents lived, at which point she got huffy and said, "I see you don't need us" and left). :td It varies greatly not just from state to state, but from county to county, sometimes, with some counties being more aggressive than others.

The fact that Pearl is tolerably well off and has the resources to fight them, along with the fact that he doesn't have little ones, would all make them less interested. But he should still have a record for six months or so, I think in every state (my info is dated). He doesn't have a record as a "substantiated" child abuser, is perhaps what Pearl means. Which may or may not mean they consider his methods abusive - what it probably means is that they couldn't prove anything and let it drop. :rolleyes

Sheryl

Tulip_Plus_3
06-01-2005, 02:19 PM
:startled This dude sounds totally paranoid if you ask me.

Sara
06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
deleted

Katherine
06-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Please take what I'm about to say graciously, as it is intended:

My initial response to all of this is that it serves as a good reminder for us to be careful how we word things here. Frankly, I think some of the comments here are pushing the limits of what this forum is intended for. If there is any question, please re-read the sticky at the top of the forum... the sticky also addresses the issues of links. :)

I am VERY STRONGLY opposed to the teaching of the Pearls, and feel my family has been personally injured by the ideas in his books, so I can relate to the anger and hurt, but I think--especially here in this PUBLIC forum--we should direct our comments at his teachings and not at him. I don't want GCM to do the same thing to Mr. Pearl that he is apparently doing to others. Just my sincere thoughts...

:hug :heart

Sara
06-01-2005, 06:39 PM
I deleted my comments. Perhaps I should just stick to the homeschooling forum where I'm less likely to offend.

My apologies.

Katherine
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
(((( Sara ))))

Please don't be offended! :hug2 I wasn't addressing any particular comment or post--just expressing my concern over the general tone and direction of the thread. Your input is valued in all our forums! :heart

erinee
06-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Edited cause I found it. I did something wrong when I pasted the URL.

:banghead :td