PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to give up

Kingskid
06-01-2005, 05:41 AM
Well, I can say that I did give it a try - cloth diapering that is. I hate to give up on it, but it seems like so much more work than sposies. I used the NB Kissaluvs with covers for the first five weeks (with sposies too), but he outgrew them and I had to buy more. I purchased a few more Kissaluvs online and tried them, but am not happy with this set. They don't fit him very well and I'm kinda tired of going through outfits b/c he wets through (maybe that's my fault?). I think that part of me is being lazy b/c it is so much easier and less bulky to throw on a sposie than it is to use cloth. I dunno :shrug maybe it's that I have to research and try other diapers that I'm not in to? But you know the worst part of wanting to give up is that my friends (who don't cd) will say "I told you so." My one friend said that I would give up within three months. *sigh* Guess she was right.

I'm not sure what I am looking for in posting this - maybe some encouragement to keep trying?

Here is what I don't like about CD - maybe someone can recommend a dipe that gets around these:
1) they are bulky under clothes
2) he wets through at the top of the dipe/cover (I used doublers in front too)
3) lazy about washing dipes
4) don't like using a dipe and a cover (maybe an AIO is better for me?)

Thanks for the support I've gotten here in the past. I'm not 100% giving up, just considering what I should do.

Havilah
06-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I can relate. My solution has been fuzzi bunz, with sposies at night. They are trim under clothes, go on as easily as a sposie, wash clean (once I tweaked our washing routine) and dry quickly. Dh can figure them out, too ;)

I really didn't have patience for two-piece systems (prefolds/fitteds and covers), especially once James got wiggly during changes. If it weren't for pockets we'd be in sposies.

I hope you find something that works for you :)

BeckaBlue
06-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I agree, fuzzibunz or wonderoos (or other pokets) sounds like what you need!!
the only thing that i've not been so fond of was stuffing them (talk about lazy! lol!!!) but it can just be done while folding laundry, especially if you'll only be using them durng the day.

you can throw your dipes in the regular wash too

milkmommy
06-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Its hard figuring out what works. Personally I don't like kissaluvs past the itty bitty stage they are just not assorbent enough.
1) they are bulky under clothes
2) he wets through at the top of the dipe/cover (I used doublers in front too)
3) lazy about washing dipes
4) don't like using a dipe and a cover (maybe an AIO is better for me?)

First off sposies are unaturally trim IMHO, while their are many very trim options none will be as trim as a disposable however I've personally never had trouble fitting cloth under clothes so its is doable. Make sure your pointing his penis down and a better diaper can help that thats one thing I remember from the kissaluvs how the entire diaper would get soaked. Sounds like you may like some pocket diapers these are very trim and can be customized for assorbancy.
Our solutions is similar to Havilah we use a wonderoo with microfiber insert during the day and a sposie at night, we also use sposies for extra long car trips or long outtings when lugging around dirty cloth isn't appealing. I feel no guilt in this.

Deanna

zak
06-01-2005, 11:04 AM
christy!!

Keep it up... if for no other reason to prove 'them' wrong... lol!! It will get easier! I'm usin prefolds, pins and various wraps and plastic pants. CHEAP!!!

Keep it up!!! Think about the chemicals you're keeping off his bum w/ cloth!!

KoalaMommy
06-01-2005, 05:01 PM
I mostly use pre-folds with snapi fasteners during the day and wonderoos at night. I find it just as easy as sposies, maybe easier. I sometimes use sposies on trips, so I can compare the two.

1) I never run out of diapers at a bad moment like the middle of the night
2) I never have to take out extra loads of garbage. I keep my diaper pail in the laundry room so it's very easy to launder.
3) I spent less than $300 on dipes for a full year, maybe longer.

GodisGood
06-01-2005, 05:19 PM
If you're using disposables, than you may be going longer with the cloth than you "should". How often are you changing him? What covers are you using? We can still use the size 0's, but the newborn covers are too short now. We need to move up to the size small covers.

Larissa
06-01-2005, 05:20 PM
DON'T GIVE UP!!! You can do this. I believe that it comes down to your system!
I agree...for me it's just as easy as disposables.

I use fitted diapers with covers and pocket diapers like fuzzibunz...(I have acutally made most of our pocket diapers and they work really well! In fact, the ones that I made work as well for overnight as the fuzzibunz do!)

I have very little leaking during the day or at night.

I agree that fuzzibunz/some sort of pocket diaper would be the best system for you. It's so easy!
Do you know how to sew? I can make a pocket diaper for about $2-3 a diaper...and they retail for $14.95
So, if you can sew...it would really save alot of money!!

Kingskid
06-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Hmmm..Fuzzibuns, huh? I was looking on Nurturemama's site at the Kushies. What's the difference btwn the two? And what is a pocket dipe? Is that an AIO system? I imagie there is just a ole that you stuff a doubler or towel in.

Havilah
06-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Yup, there's an opening in the top (back waistband) where you stuff it with your absorbant layers. Once it's stuffed it goes on just like an AIO. I've never used Kushies, so I can't compare the two. I prefer pockets because I feel like they get really clean and they dry quickly. I have a quirky dryer, and the AIO I had took almost three cycles to dry :eek

GodisGood
06-02-2005, 07:14 AM
That's the general concensus with AIO's they take a LONG time to dry. And not all AIO's are built for the every child. I've had mom's tell me they LOVE Kushies (our favorite) but hate Bumkins, and vise versa. The Prorap AIO's are really wondeful, but plain, plain, plain.

FB's and Happy Heiny's are similar, but it depends on your closure preference, snaps or hook/loop. They do dry quicker than AIO's and even fitted diapers. The only thing I don't like about pockets is diving for the stuffing when you have a poopy diaper. :sick I've yet to have a child that has poop just "roll" off the dipaer.

cannuke
06-02-2005, 07:24 AM
I agree that fuzzibunz/some sort of pocket diaper would be the best system for you. It's so easy!
Do you know how to sew? I can make a pocket diaper for about $2-3 a diaper...and they retail for $14.95
So, if you can sew...it would really save alot of money!!

What pattern are you using? Can you send me some more info? This is exactly what I'm working on right now!