PDA

View Full Version : One Size fitted to one size pocket

cannuke
05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
I have a Snug to Fit one size dipe that I bought to use as a pattern for making my own dipes. I liked the concept of one size diapers (cost effectiveness and not having to buy more later). Due to cost and some things I've heard about how well some AIO's last b/c of the differences in cleaning requirements of the outer WP layer vs. the inner layer, I'd like to generally stick with a two piece system. DH says I'm such a scientist about stuff. :O

As I was planning how to sew these diapers, I thought that I'd like to change the design a little. Rather than making the dipes the way that the Snug to Fit is made, with an inside liner and another layer sewn onto the back of the diaper, I thought I'd make the one size, but as a pocket diaper. A pocket diaper but not an AIO pocket diaper. Maybe it'll be a little faster to dry and have less chance of detergent build up? We also have really hard water here.

I've ordered a few Wonderoos from JamTots, so that will show me how a one size pocket diaper works. I only want to have a few one size AIO's around, though.

Does anyone have any experience or hints on how this plan might work? When you use a pocket diaper, does the insert get held into the diaper at all, or does it just sit in there and the snugness of the diaper holds it in place? I still can't figure that one out.

Thanks for any help!

LauraK
06-02-2005, 11:12 AM
It just gets shoved in there and the snaps which hold the diaper on, also hold the insert in. I am not sure if it will help but there are some pocket diaper instructions on the web. They are for fuzzi bunz type diapers but I think you could make the one size by just putting snaps on in the correct places.

wuzzie
06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Pocket diapers are super easy to make. Especially if they don't need to be nonwicking. Take your fabric, put right sides together, sew around starting in the back if that is where you are leaving your opening. Attach your elastic to the hem. Flip. Topstich, making sure to sew around the elastic so they strech in the casings. Where your opening in the back is just hem the inside peice of fabric and do the casing in the back like you did on the legs on the outside peice. ORRR what I found that's much easier, buy this stuff called strech binding from Wal-Mart, (it's in with all the trims) and just sew that all the way around your dipe, streching it where you want gathers like the legs and back. At the back, at a smaller peice to the inside fabric and then run the larger peice over it to cover the ends. It ends up looking really nice.

milkmommy
06-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Due to cost and some things I've heard about how well some AIO's last b/c of the differences in cleaning requirements of the outer WP layer vs. the inner layer

I'm not a huge true AIO fan because of what you've said.. However my one size pockets rock! (the wonderoos)
I wash and dry these suckers on hight heat and a few I've had for at least 25months and they show NO signs of wear. They are VERY cost friendly (if you have the intial cost) because you don't have to keep buying new covers. Just throwing that out for you!
I think cotton pocket fitted is a great idea :tu

Deanna

IslandMama
06-05-2005, 09:13 AM
That sounds like a great idea... I'm sure that saves you alot of money, and like you, I just want diapers that I can throw in the washer and dryer, and not worry about them lasting long... I've been thinking about this too. Here's a website that has some instructions for a pocket diaper so you can kinda get an idea of how to do it.

http://www.diapersewing.com/hbpocketinstructions.htm

Give us an update. I want to try this too! :tu