PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made . . .

bliss
05-31-2005, 05:14 PM
"decorative" gerber-type plastic pants? I have two pair of Indisposeable brand diaper covers and they are just vinyl pull-on pants with a cute fabric exterior. Would these be easy to make with pre-existing Gerber pull on pants? I have the sewing skills of a trained monkey. Has anyone made anything like this so as to walk me thru methodology? Many thanks!

BHope
05-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Are you planning to use Gerber pants and material or are you starting from scratch? (PUL and material and elastin/elastic?)

bliss
06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Gerber pants and material . . .

BHope
06-02-2005, 01:34 AM
This is how I would do it. (Keeping in mind, I haven't actually done it.)

Cut the pants down the side seams and open it up so that it looks like a diaper.

Use the gerber pants as a pattern (Stretching elastic to full stretch in order to get a proper representation.) Adding at least a 1/8th seam allowance to your material. More if you want to have a bit of ruffle.

Hem the leg and waist of the material. Then gently pin the sides of the material to the gerber pants. I am having a hard time explaining what I mean. Essentially you are going to put the gerber pants back together where you cut the side seams. Only this time you are sewing the material into the side seams. If you'd rather just grab a new pair of gerber pants and keep the cut pair as your pattern... then that would be an option. That way you could sew your material together along the sides (without the gerber pants) and then slip the material over the gerber pants. Right side facing out with the material and the gerber pants on the inside.

Stretch the elastic and pin your material down on the legs and waist. I, personally, wouldn't tuck the material over the elastic because I would be concerned about wicking. Instead I would have it look a bit like this from the outside:
http://www.earthjaunt.com/CG/020205dress4.jpg

Use a zig-zag stitch (stretching as you sew to create gather.) Sewing over the elastic. (I'd be afraid the nylon wouldn't be strong enough to hold.)

If I have time this weekend maybe I'll run a test run to see how my instructions really would work. lol. I hope I haven't been too confusing, and if someone else has better/easier/simpler way of going about it, please, chime in.

bliss
06-03-2005, 03:18 PM
I can't zigzag stitch. My machine doesn't have the right foot, or something? :sad2 Alas and alack. Besides, I think this sounds a little beyond me.

BHope
06-04-2005, 01:01 PM
lol, sorry if I made it sound complicated. It definately was a good thought. Maybe you could find a way to stamp or paint the pants. Do you know if that would work?

bliss
06-04-2005, 08:36 PM
that might work - I think I might try to hand sew something - I'm kinda scared of the sewing machine and can usually figure something out by hand. . .I have a pair of pants with a hole in them so if I wreck 'em, no loss. I'll post pics if it works!