PDA

View Full Version : gfcfsf and hurricane prep

amstermarie
05-31-2005, 12:56 PM
i was wondering is there anyone out there preparing for hurricane season w/ a child on a special diet? after charlie i believe ds diet went down the toilet, i just did not prepare right and w/o electric for a week, it was hard. i tried to stick to the basics, but i could not be picky. how can i prepare better this year? all i can think of is bush beans, and the 1 brand of canned chicken that is gfcf. i cant feed that to him every day. we do have a generator now, so we can do some basic cooking, in microwave, or toaster oven. not stove it will not run on generator. we can run fridge on generator, so if we put stuff in freezer, i guess it would last the 8-12 hours till we can get the generator running. but it has to be stuff that is easily prepared in micro, or toaster oven. i hope we do not get hit again this year, esp since i am pg and cant take the heat. DH says we may be able to run a small room a/c, but it would have to alternate between the fridge so it can only be on for a short time. Hurricane stay away!!!!!!!!!!

prayerbear
06-02-2005, 03:46 AM
how have your thoughts been on this one?? what are the diet needs I have no idea of your sons problems. can you expand???

cheers and hoping you find other mothers in your area who are in your position.

amstermarie
06-02-2005, 06:28 AM
he is an autistic spectrum child, so i have him gluten and casien free. i also have him of wheat. he tends to get a little more out of control when off the diet, not sometime you like to deal with when you are sweating from no a/c knwim. :) i imagine, that most people had problems staying on the diet when the hurican came,

prayerbear
06-02-2005, 07:05 AM
How about literally fresh veg and fruit.

THen you could think about doing things like cous cous... would he allergic to that?? you can add apple juice to this which raisins and apricots which is sooo nice.

Then there are some foods you could precook freeze and have ready to take down which would last you a couple of days as they defrost.

If he eats meat you could do some stews and veg.

How does this work??

prayerbear
06-02-2005, 07:08 AM
I would presume you would eat more nibbles during stuck in side like that.. Would you be able to buy buiscuits and crisps things that could be put with raw veg and dips?

How about cheese? can he eat cheese? with buicuits?

How about some cakes that you could put butter on aswell.

And if you got some cool boxes to sit on you could use these to store the cheese if the fridge did not work out.

amstermarie
06-02-2005, 03:34 PM
How about cheese? can he eat cheese? with buicuits
no cheese :(, not found one that is cf and sf
we can do the fruits, he does not like raw veg.. only thing about fruits, i would hate to stock way up, not get a hurricane and them be wasted. but i can stock a little, mabe pre-cook some meat and freeze like you said. we are having tax free hurrican prep this month. so i was thinking more on lines of can stuff, but i just dont think there is any out there, if there was i would be using them... o well. food is always tax free, so if it looks like it is going to hit i guess i will just try my best to get prepared by cooking some meat, and by getting some veggies. :)

prayerbear
06-03-2005, 02:04 AM
can he eat rice?

how about stewed fruit from cans with some of those 'free' buiscuits crumbled on top.

how about some tin veg and (if you get your little cooker done) heat it and then put some flavours in and use the 'free' tortillas to make a wrap.

how about some tin soup which is from the 'free' range with some of that 'free' bread.

Is any of that any good?

Not sure what you have in your state, here in UK it is pretty useless for food things

amstermarie
06-03-2005, 05:43 AM
yes rice is good .buiscuits, all have to be made special. i may make up a batch or so , i used to do it all the time, but it takes so many ingredients to subsitute it got old. tortillas, i do believe i have used them b4, in corn only, so they are good.
thanks :tu :) starting to feel better now. still hoping we dont get hit though

Boys and Angels
06-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Canned veggies like peas and carrots, string beans, beets, corn??? That's what we stocked up with for Charlie last year. What about peanut butter? Is he allowed the natural type of Peanut butter? Smuckers makes that kind. They also sell your favorite soy milk and rice milk products in the vacuum pack "juice box" type containers that don't need refrigeration. Canned chili? Do those have gluten? I guess you'd have to read the label to see if they have any fillers. Keep a couple of bags of apples and baby carrots. If you don't use them for a blackout, you can use them to chop up in soup the following week and make cinnamon apples with the apples if they are left over. Hope it works out for you. We're in Ft myers, getting ready for hurrican season ourselves. But i'm lucky. I just buy stacks of canned tuna and chicken and ham and canned veggies and we're set. Last year we only lost power for three days, but our friends lost theirs for 10 days. we had people in and out all the following week. They cooked, showered, ate and slept here, we cooked the meat in everyone's freezers all week long, and shared it with everyone we could. At least nothing went to waste. :lol

amstermarie
06-03-2005, 07:14 PM
yes we buy the natural peanutbutter, we do canned chicken , butnot tuna... i am afraid of the mercury. canned veggies we can do, i don't do them normally, think frozen is a little healthier, but cant worry about that in a time like this.
They also sell your favorite soy milk and rice milk products in the vacuum pack "juice box" type containers that don't need refrigerationi have not seen these, where? we do not do soy, but i would love to get the juice box rice milk... it would be great even for ds lunch. the only canned chilie i have found is from miss robins, i guess i can place an order from her, and get some pasta too.... its just so costly :sad2. like $5 for a small can. but what can i say, beggars cant be choosers. yes apples and baby carrots i will stock up on. we lost power for a week after charlie, we showered at BIL house, we have a well, so we cant even get water w/o power. we took lots of car rides, even though they said not tooo, it was the only way to keep the kids happy. i am right over bridge in cape coral. :) OT I work for the news-press, you know they had us out delivering right after charlie. we did not bother to go down, did not think they needed delivering, and the dm's went out looking for us carriers. then for the following week, they complained b/c many carriers would not deliver at night, no street lights, downed power lines. i delivered at day bvreak till my rout had power. not risking my life over a papper.