PDA

View Full Version : blankets/towels/flats?

bostonsmama
05-31-2005, 09:12 AM
ok, i keep reading about how you can use tea towels/ hand towels and receiving blankets for flats? has anyone ever done this? i dont see a receiving blanket being too absorbant? would you stuff it and use the blanket sort of as an aio/pocket? anyone?? also, i just saw a snappi in the back!! here, look with me:

http://www.diaperware.com/picturepages/babyflatpics.htm

i cant decide if that would be a good or bad thing! i can see ds not messing with it as much, then again, i can see him grabbing his booty and wondering what was back there!

and yes, im totally editing this to change the way i spelled booty, i decided i liked it better with a "y" :grin

OnlyBelieve
05-31-2005, 09:38 AM
I have used those flour sack towels in the stores as flats. I also bought a flannel flat (for a lot of money) and when I got it, I looked at it and said "ok, this is a receiving blanket". I read somewhere that one person used old flannel sheets to make diapers.
The flannel was just as absorbent too.
On a side note.....I ordered from www.diaperware.com and had a very good experience.

Moon
05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Anything 100% cotton would work. I've made teeny fitteds from old receiving blankets, they took bloody forever to dry though.

Check out this link~ http://fernandfaerie.com/frugaldiapering.html there are flats links on the bottom

Iarwain
05-31-2005, 10:26 AM
I have used towels and receiving blankets as is for flats. They work fine, you just have to tweak how you fold them. I keep a stash on hand but mostly use them if we're going on vacation and I'm trying to stretch the amount of time between trips to the laudromat to wash. I also used them when we were without a dryer for a while. I fold and put in a wool wrap, but I have pinned them on also and it works fine. I prefer receiving blankets to towels. Also when used as flats rather than sewn into a fitted they dry very quickly. If you've got them or can get them really cheap and don't want to spend money on buying diapers there's no reason not to use them. IME a fairly sturdy receiving blanket is almost as absorbant as a really thick prefold.

I have also used receiving blankets, towels and flannel sheets to make fitteds and AIOs.