PDA

View Full Version : I have to get rid of her.....

ServingGod
05-31-2005, 09:11 AM
:bheart :bheart :bheart My dog that is. I spent so long last night apologizing to her. She is a wonderful faithful companion whom I truly love. I feel like Im betraying her. She has horrible seperation anxiety....I have tried behavior modification, exercise, drugs...nothing helps. The vet said her chances for recovery are guarded to poor. :( Its not fair to let her live like this...is it?? We wont be home much in the summer....and she will be home alone, panicking and injuring herself trying to get out of her crate...if she gets out, she will tear the house apart...and maybe escape. Every time we come home there is blood all over her crate from her biting it to chew out, and she has popped off claws trying to get out too. :cry This is going against all the principles I have ever had regarding pets. I feel like a traitor. She got out of her crate last night, peed all over, and scratched to woodwork really bad....and this is a rental house...if we owned it we would be a little more lenient. I cant get evicted over a dog...and my neighbors dont like dogs...they told me they called the police on the last renters because their dog always barked. :eek She is 9yrs old...expected life span for her breed is 9-13 yrs. I have dealt with her anxiety now for 7 yrs. My dh said to just let it all be on his hands and dont worry about it. I had to give up my precious adorable little kitties too. OUr landlord wouldnt allow cats. :hissyfit Dh said he would get another dog for me...but something smallish...thats NOT a rescue. She isnt adoptable due to her anxiety issue...plus she is dog aggressive. Shes the perfect dog for an agoraphobic...... I just feel like pond scum about this. And to think....5yrs ago when I was a vet assistant a woman came in with a dog with bad seperation anxiety to talk to the vet about Euth. I was very judgemental and not very understanding about her predicament. :banghead

ranade3
05-31-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm so sorry :cry I felt like I was betraying my dog too when we had him put down 6 months ago. He was sick but I kept thinking maybe he wasn't that sick. The night before we put him down I sat up with him until 3am because he was so uncomfortable. It was horrible and something I don't want to go through again for a very long time. I am so sorry that you have to make this decision, it is so hard. :cry

Ali
06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I deleted my post after thinking about it. It's a VERY individual decision. I'd hate any one reading my post to make a decision or think a certain way based on our own personal story. I'll just say I've BTDT and it's tough and I'm so sorry. :hugheart :pray

PurpleButterfly
06-01-2005, 11:50 AM
:hugheart :pray :heart

I will be praying for you to find a loving home for her where she can be free, and for you to have peace in your heart. We just adopted an older, very large, "unadoptable" dog that nobody else wanted, and he's become the big spoiled lovie baby of our house! :heartTrust in the Lord, precious mama. :hug